James Harmon Brown & Barbara Esensten: The Verdict

• Members

McTavish's stories are all bathed in misery and angst. They're dark, depressing and absolutely demoralizing. If you enjoy that kind of storytelling, then sure, her third stint was FANTASTIC! Starting off with raping Bianca, following up with babies being born while two young women are stuck in a cabin in the middle of a storm, only to have the women drugged and have their babies stolen and told they've drowned in a river after a staged helicopter crash, only to have a man with a brain tumor go on a killing spree, just to have him blow himself up with his dead brother in a cave, just to have Ryan join fight clubs and physically assault his wife and then drive off a cliff, following up with a twisted doctor who brainwashes women into giving up their babies, only to have him buried alive and then subsequently killed in an earthquake just to have his "son" find him and dig him up in a park on July 4th... Then, yes. That horrid [!@#$%^&*] was absolutely riveting. Fantastic. Great ideas...

But for a show that's not supposed to be such a dark tragedy, it just didn't fit. I've read rumors that she was pilfering a lot of ideas from a story bible she had written for her own soap creation entitled Purgatory. I brushed it off at first, but considering how dark and sorrowful her third stint was, it could be true. No one was happy for four years. No one had joy for four years. No one was able to love or be loved for four years. Everyone was just suffering and miserable and doing dark & despicable things to one another. A lot of talk of God, and sins of the father and Jesus Christ dying on the cross...

Oh, by the way... IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY! JUNE 1! :P

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I stand totally corrected then.

Ignore everything I've ever posted about my thoughts on AMC. :-) (Except everything awful from the last two years can be traced back to Spike's conception. I still stand by that, damnit! LOL!)

I will say this though - I still think something major happened behind the scenes, because there was definitely a major shift in the show around November/December through April.

But I guess my speculation was way off. Oh well. Wouldn't be the first time!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, R SINCLAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived