All: When did each soap start to decline?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You took the words right out of my mouth. Time was, you could tell shows apart from their STORIES as well as their CHARACTERS. Not anymore. THeir identities have all been lost, and you're absolutely right, Sedrick. It happened post-possession. (All except for the Bell shows, I have to say... even at their worst, their identities have been pretty much intact. And for all the LML haters out there, count your blessings. You could have gotten JFP-ed)

• Members

For BB, killing off Macy and Taylor were BIG mistakes. They rectified the Taylor one but then went and killed off Macy again. Plus getting rid of Spectra and focusing solely on the Forresters has hurt the show. And they dont even focus on the business/fashion aspect of them but instead of the constant incestuous bed hopping. BB has been striving on shock value for years now

• Members

I think you're being way too generous. AMC started its decline in quality storytelling during McTavish's 1998-1999 acid trip. ComaVisions, Camille Hawkins, bleeding phones, poisoned tattoos, TKFP, Raquel Dion & Max, Spermgate '98!!!

Oh, hell no. It's been ten years that this show has been anything looking like All My Children after Lorraine Broderick left in late 1997. Agnes Nixon, with Jean Passanante (and Elizabeth Page briefly), did their best from 1999-2000, but then Passanante flew solo in late 2000 and wrecked that show all to hell. Then came Culliton in 2001 and while he was a few notches above Passanante, he turned AMC into a damn sitcom. Not to sound like Penny, but I did think AMC was on the right track when Anna Cascio co-wrote with Gordon Rayfield. The show was more of an ensemble piece, there was diversity and there was definitely a stronger sense of character. People may bitch and moan about newbies, but newbies are tomorrows veterans. I just think their execution was a little... shall we say... off. But during the Rayfield Cascio tenure (six months in total), I remember being invested in the stories and characters. Then McTavish came back in 2003 and basically signed the show's death certificate. :rolleyes:

Archived