Another Daytime Killer: Preemption

• Members

This thread was inspired by the CBS New York City affiliate that decided an HOUR of Joe Torry explaining his decision to stop managing the Yankees was more important than ATWT. Therefore ATWT will be on at 2:05 am tomorrow. At least ABC and NBC still aired their soaps even though they cut away after they began. In NYC it's ALWAYS CBS that yanks the P&G soaps off the air for the most inconsequential "news." The Pakistan bombing didn't get this kind of coverage.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IA, Stenbeck.

Here in Orlando, GL comes on at 9am (used to come on at 10am). The local station moved it up a couple years ago because (according to my email with a station representative) of Mr. Bush's penchant for having news conferences at that hour. Actually, the station rep that emailed me was very friendly and helpful about the change, but I digress....

Anyways, GL can be preempted here quite regularly for the weather guy to tell us about approaching thunderstorms. REALLY?!?!? Thunderstorms in Florida?!?! IN SUMMER?!?!?! GET OUT! And half the time, I don't see any notification that the show is going to be re-broadcast.

It's very frustrating.

• Members

ABC also decided to do this here in New York. It's running through all of Viki's first day back on OLTL.

I am so furious. I would call the local station but I don't understand how anyone thick enough to decide to air this AT 2 IN THE AFTERNOON would possibly care.

• Members

NY is horrible with interruptions and pre-emptions.

George W. Bush could stub his toe and need a band aid, and they'd cut into programs for hours at a time with crap like "Toe Watch 2007"

I've tried writing before, but unfortunately they don't give a crap and will continue to interrupt what they feel is "obsolete".

• Members

GL, because of its inconsistent timeslots across the country, gets hit the hardest.

I do agree, NY is horrible when it comes to preemptions. Even if they're not for the whole show, by the time they get back to the show, you're totally lost as to what happened and don't feel like watching the rest of it.

Sadly, I don't think the affiliates will change their policy anytime soon.

• Members

Philadelphia is cool. They to a 2 boxes for a car accident rather than preempt the show. I remember KYW preempting ATWT before the kiss between Luke and Noah happened because of a Tornado that never happened. At least they came back to the show in time for the kiss. I'm not sure about 6ABC since i only watch AMC. I think GL is the biggest victim of preemptions in Philly at least when I use to watch it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Pre-emption is a definate "killer"; it caused GH to reach a record low last year. I am certain that if the episode in question hadn't been pre-empted, it would not have received record low viewership. How to combat this "killer"? Vote...with your remote control.

• Members

I will never understand USA TV for this... we never have those kinds of pre-emptations...

They interrupt program only in case of some really major thing (like someone REALLY REALLY important dying or like when 9/11 happened or big stuff like that).

But even when that happens, it is different than how it goes in the US. Here, IF there is an interruption, when we go back to the interrupted program, we will continue where we left off. So the viewers won't miss a thing of watching their program.

Archived