AW Fans: The Matthews?

• Members

Interesting Neil, because for years, I have been thinking of writing an online continuance of Another World. And, have often thought about casting. To answer your question, I think Kelly might be a good choice for Russ. I've considered him for my own Bay City. Still, there is something about the actor that makes me hesitant. Not sure why. I've also considered actors like Peter Simon and Richard VanFleet as Russ. And don't forget the original "heart-throb" Russ, Sam Groom, is still acting and as handsome as ever. Only reason I wouldn't go with Groom is that Russ probably should be de-sorased by 5 to 7 years, at least to play out the stories I have planned for him. Kelly, Simon and VanFleet are old enough to be believable as Rachel's first husband, but still young enough to have remarried (since we last saw him) and have teenaged kids.

As far as casting Liz, I'd still go with Irene Daily. She is still alive, and I can't think of another actress who could fill those shoes. Still, I'd enjoy hearing other casting ideas for Liz. Joan Copeland would be interesting as Liz, but she is likely at least as old as Daily. I wouldn't be opposed to de-sorasing Liz by 5 to 7 years. Any other casting ideas?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Community Posts

• I was probably the only one in the target age range at the time who was impressed by that lol.  ATWT seemed to me like GL's older (I know, I know, GL was first by a long shot, but you wouldn't have known it going by the cast members who were on the show by then), stable, more popular sibling, even if that popularity was waning.  As other soaps disappointed me, that sense of consistency started to appeal to me.  Even though I never found ATWT compelling long-term whenever I tuned in in those years, and of course it had as much turmoil behind the scenes as the other network/sponsor-owned shows by then.
    • Lol didn’t they kinda do that when GT’s Phyllis dyed her hair blonde?
    • The Rauch version seemed abruptly truncated in comparison to the full one—like the video and audio weren't actually edited at all for that, they just deleted a whole portion—but with a little money put in upfront to it could have worked.  So many memorable scenes in the early '90s had included that theme as background and/or picked up the next day and segued into that opening...even the brief hint of that music evokes memories for me.  Not to mention, they would have saved money in the long run without having to update cast photos or keep paying for new openings. I doubt you could prove a connection with ratings, but I actually think it's interesting that Y&R has remained the highest rated for so long and DAYS is (was?) one of the last soaps, while both stuck with their original theme songs.  And each theme became part of broader pop culture in some unexpected ways over the years: Mary J Blige, Close Encounters, etc.  Who's to say that kind of free publicity didn't help keep those shows on casual viewers' minds at some point?  But it's also a case of the chicken and the egg - a mainstream entertainment project would probably not give that kind of shout-out to a soap or its theme music if both weren't so familiar to people.
    • Yes to all of this. I mean I wouldn’t have mind seeing Nate find success and media attention with his Ask MD website or whatever but the switch to a media executive was the worst. 
    • Honestly, as long as they don't do the shaky cam stuff, I've been thinking it's bad enough now to lean into the Peapack model. Film at a real courthouse on the weekend instead of making a set, a real park instead of Chancellor park....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy