Twitter(X) links won't automatically embed

dragonflies

• Members

I can't update Chrome or Edge because I'm in Windows 7 and cannot afford to upgrade my Windows.  Chrome and Edge won't update for me anymore, I get a message that I need at least Windows 10.

But embedded tweets displayed fine in all browsers for me
until one month ago (Dec. 15)
edit: until one week ago (Jan. 10)
and yet I haven't been able to update Chrome or Edge in more than a year.

I can still see embedded tweets on other messageboards.  Just not SON.  And as I said, I can see properly embedded tweets on some websites but not others.

Nobody else has mentioned an issue, so this is different from the last time when Twitter was at fault.

Firefox works great, it just loads slower on my computer, which is why I had been using Chrome.

I guess it's my P C ... and nothing I can do about it at this time.  I know how to clumsily figure out what people are posting when using Chrome, or I can use Firefox.  It's not perfect but it will do until I can upgrade my technology.

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

That is definitely the issue, then.

Behind the scenes, we are slowly removing support for TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and soon TLS 1.2. Currently, we're allowing support for TLS 1.1 and later, but that'll be gradually changed to TLS 1.2 and later and finally just TLS 1.3 support. 

Although this link provides information about Twitter depreciating support for TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 in July 2019, the information definitely relates to the issues you are having with regard to Twitter embeds: https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/twitter-will-deprecate-support-for-tls-1-0-tls-1-1-on-july-15/

For reference, TLS stands for Transport Layer Security, which is an updated, more secure version of SSL (the key lock in the address bar).

• TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 were depreciated in 2021. These versions are security issues which is why we are removing them. 
  • TLS 1.2 is pending depreciation and has been in use since 2008
  • TLS 1.3 is currently the standard version and has been in use since 2018.

Per Cloudflare:

How does TLS work?

A TLS connection is initiated using a sequence known as the TLS handshake. When a user navigates to a website that uses TLS, the TLS handshake begins between the user's device (also known as the client device) and the web server.

During the TLS handshake, the user's device and the web server:

• Specify which version of TLS (TLS 1.0, 1.2, 1.3, etc.) they will use
  • Decide on which cipher suites (see below) they will use
  • Authenticate the identity of the server using the server's TLS certificate
  • Generate session keys for encrypting messages between them after the handshake is complete

The TLS handshake establishes a cipher suite for each communication session. The cipher suite is a set of algorithms that specifies details such as which shared encryption keys, or session keys, will be used for that particular session. TLS is able to set the matching session keys over an unencrypted channel thanks to a technology known as public key cryptography.

The handshake also handles authentication, which usually consists of the server proving its identity to the client. This is done using public keys. Public keys are encryption keys that use one-way encryption, meaning that anyone with the public key can unscramble the data encrypted with the server's private key to ensure its authenticity, but only the original sender can encrypt data with the private key. The server's public key is part of its TLS certificate.

Once data is encrypted and authenticated, it is then signed with a message authentication code (MAC). The recipient can then verify the MAC to ensure the integrity of the data. This is kind of like the tamper-proof foil found on a bottle of aspirin; the consumer knows no one has tampered with their medicine because the foil is intact when they purchase it.

The TCP Handshake

For more on TLS: https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ssl/transport-layer-security-tls/

• Members

Oops error.   Dec. 15, 2023 was when twitter began having its twitter-wide issue that lasted a day or two, which they resolved.

The current issue began (for me) January 10, 2024.  (even though I hadn't been able to update Chrome or Edge in over a year).

Edited by janea4old

• Webmaster

I'm not sure if you saw what I posted, but I need to know if the issue is resolved as I've temporarily reduced the TLS-acceptable version to TLS 1.0 and later (TLS 1.2 and later should be the only ones allowed at this point).

Please let me know ASAP!

• Members

Just saw your post.  No. Embedded tweets still don't display for me correctly on the SON messageboard. Nor is the display correct for the end-credits tweet embedded in this webpage 
https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2024/01/general-hospital-2023-end-credits-people-behind-the-scenes-port-charles

Since I have this issue seeing correct display of embedded tweets on a few (but not all) news sites, too, I don't think changing SON settings is the solution.  Probably best to keep your site with the latest/best tech.  Don't cater to me, I can find workarounds.  Thanks!

• Webmaster

Okay, thanks for confirming. Seeing that downgrading the TLS version doesn't change things, it would seem not to be the issue then. I don't know the software used by the other sites you are comparing, but I'd imagine they aren't using similar technology.

Sorry that you are going through this. I hope you are able to resolve this soon by upgrading your software or finding an easy workaround. 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

@Errol  Effective yesterday January 24, I can now see embedded tweets on the SON messageboard, the SON main site, and on unrelated (non-SON) news sites. 
I can now see the embedded tweets fine on firefox and on my outdated Chrome browser, but not on Microsoft Edge.
(I rarely use Microsoft Edge, so I don't care about that.)

** This is in reference to all the places where embedded tweets hadn't displayed properly for me since January 10.

I'm still on Windows 7 and I haven't changed anything about my computer.  So I guess the issue wasn't with my computer after all.

Since the improvement (for me) is
fixed on SON *and* on non-SON sites, it wasn't an SON issue. 

No idea what the issue was, but it's resolved now. No idea why I can see embedded tweets now, but I can!

Edited by janea4old