AMC: Joanna Cohen blogs the show & its cancellation

• Members

I don't disagree with that.

I disagree with this. She and Karen Harris left me ill during their (thankfully) brief times at AMC. It always seemed to be "the breakdown says this, so the characters say that." The characters came across unlikeable during BOTH of their tenures because there was no depth to them. I remember Marla writing a script where Kendall was just horrible speaking about Zarf -- and there was no real reason. No chance for the character or another character to establish why she felt that way. It was just "the plot says Kendall's supposed to speak hateful about Zarf, so the dialogue will." To this day, I don't understand why Kendall hated Zarf so much. I'm not saying that Kanelos is responsible for that, but if it was according to the plot given to her, her aired script made no effort to explain why she was so hateful.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can respect that. However I thought Kendell being mean to Zarf made sense given her character history. Kendell has always been mean to outsiders, people who get in her way and those who threaten her position or what she values as "hers." She hated Annie on sight once it was established that Ryan liked her and then once it was revealed that Emma was her kid she withheld that information for Ryan for weeks/months because she didn't want Ryan to become more attached to Annie. Kendell also teamed up with Greenlee to shoe-horn Annie out of Ryan's life a handful of times for no better reason then because Ryan was "their territory." It's not that hard to believe Kendell is just that superficial, spiteful and petty. This was the same woman who entrapped Bianca in a crypt because she stole her mothers affection from her and this is also the same woman who constantly used Simone as her own personal doormat whenever she had problems. She hated Zarf/Zoe because of her association with Babe, her attraction to Bianca and because she was "different" for Fusion. Kendell during the late 05- early 07 period was pretty much a token mean girl just like her momma.

• Members

That just made me sad all over again...Great article.

I was in line at a grocery store earlier, skimming through the soap mags like I usually do & there was an article in SID about the original ending. MCE (Annie) said in the original ending there was going to be a montage about the future to let fans know that they'd be ok. She said Annie was in and out of nut houses and was seen happy with Emma & reading her a book sad.png She was upset her character & others didn't get the ending that LB originally penned.

Archived