Which president were you born under?

DevotedToAMC

• Members

I know we left New Hampshire when Nixon was in office. My father was concerned that the Vietnam war would go into the late 70's - 80's and that my older brothers could be drafted, so he took the first associate professor position he could get in Canada, at McGill U. in Montreal. - Which had its own political problems at the time.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, the Vietnam War went on for too long and Scarecrow did not learn from history or else he would not start Iraq since they both have a lot of similarities.

I am curious...you say Montreal had political problems. Was that at the time they tried to adopt French as an official language of Canada? Or was that when Quebec tried hard to separate from Canada and be its own country?

• Members

Ohhhhhhh the October Crisis! Very interesting... October 1970. That's when it culminated, but Québec had its problems before and after!

Québec wanted to separate from Canada and the FLQ (Front de liberation du Québec aka Québec Liberation Front) wanted to separate, they were basically a terrorist group. They were blowing up buildings and stuff... and then they took Pierre LaPorte, a minister of something in the government, and kidnapped him and killed him, they found his body in the trunk of a car. And then, they kidnapped British diplomat James Cross and stuck him in the trunk of a car.

Our Prime Minister the late Pierre Elliot Trudeau (Best of the best) enacted Martial law, which basically is enacted in wartime, in order to find enemies and everything, it meant it suspended people's rights, but only for a short time, because desperate times call for desperate measures, and they found the people they had to find... and the Brit got out of the trunk alive.

They asked Trudeau how far he was going to go with it, he said "Just watch me". He never shied away from controversy, and in the end he did what he had to do. I do not support suspension of rights unless it's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY (unlike the patriot act) but I think in this point in time, it was important to do it, because they found everyone.

• Members

Ian's post from yesterday pretty much describes what happened in 1970.

French and English are both official languages on a federal level in Canada and that happened decades ago. Provincial level (think states) is another story. Quebec has had two separation referendums. One in 1980 and the other in 1996. Both failed but the '96 plebicite was close. 12 years later the courts are still trying to count ballots (not to determine a winner, only to determine how much they won by)

Quebec's official language is French and about 80% of the province's population (about 6 million total) is of French origin (Quebecois). In Montreal it's a bit different, maybe 60 Quebecois/ 40 other.

I work at an English hospital and do at least half my work, and 90% of my paperwork, in French. (with much duplication in English)

Sometimes I come to this site late at night and start typing in French. I have to stop and think about English, the language of my parents. My partner's situation is similar but he makes an easier transition.

• Members

Thanks. Just remember it when you can't understand one of my posts. It means I'm tired and have been thinking in French all day long so "Da Hinglish" comes out a little disjointed. Or I'm just intoxicated. My late night posts are often accompanied by beer, or scotch, or vodka, depending on the day.

Just to add.. it's nice to be able to type in English and not have to think about the same stream of thought in French. That's why I like this place.

Archived