AMC: May Sweeps Spoilers!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a doctor, so I could be mistaken, but isn't it common for people to graduate medical school at age 25 or 26? Traditionally, they serve four years as an undergrad (finishing at 21 or 22), and then four years in medical school (finishing at 25 or 26). Granted, they have to do an internship and residence (which takes years to complete), but they still have their MDs.

• Members

Medical school is normally 4 years. Most docs start their residency (they're no longer called "interns" their first year) at age 26. I remember a time when all the residents (their first year they were called interns back in my early nursing career) were OLDER than I was. Now, it's the other way around LOL. Medical residency is 4 years, if they want to be an internist. A lot go into specialties now, which requires another 3-5 years, depending on the specialty. Those who want to be surgeons have to complete a 5 year residency to be GENERAL SURGEONS. If they specialize, it's an additional few years, depending on which surgical specialty they want to do. For instance, to be a cardiac (open heart) surgeon, they have to do another 4-5 years of a fellowship specializing in cardiovascular/thoracic surgery. That means that they will START their surgical practice in their late 30s. Cardiologists do a 3-4 year fellowship following their 4 year medical residency, depending if they do interventions in the cardiac cath lab. Most inteventional cardiologists won't start their careers til they're in their mid 30s. Also, many MDs will work in a clinic or ER until they get accepted into a fellowship, which may, or may not happen right after they finish their medical residency. Which is why there was no way that David Hayward was ever a cardiologist AND a cardiac surgeon LOL.

Archived