GH: Vet Actress bumped to Recurring

• Members

It is no surprise that they would cut vets from this show, but what it is, is insulting and a slap in the face to the vet who has given 30 PLUS years to this show. Stuart Damon received the same treatment, John Ingle, and I'm sure Leslie is next. What are their plans for her character - she has no family left but Edward and Tracy. Keep her around to prop Golden Boy? I wouldn't doubt it - the stories they have been giving them lately, they need it!

And when I say "use" - I don't necessarily mean front burner story - hell I'd settle for C+ story - anything is better than wallpaper and background noise. They brought Noah Drake back - someone who Bobbie was engaged to at one time and we got what? 3 scenes since he's been back? Now granted Rick cannot commit to a full schedule like some of the others due to his concert schedule but dammit - I want some history being shown when he IS on. How bout a triangle with Bobbie, Noah and Scotty? Hmmm..... Some history please. She was involved with BOTH men and she has/had scenes with neither. How bout a few scenes with Jerry - who she was involved with? Where are those? Where is the mention that she and he know each other? I'm not wanting the whole damn bakery - just a few slices!

How bout some scenes to refresh everyone's memory that Bobbie and Monica have some bad blood between them or better yet, Leslie (Laura's mom) and Bobbie? Leslie was the one who figured out what Bobbie was trying to do to keep Scott many moons ago. Oh that's right, screw the long time viewer and only cater to the youngins who watch this show. Yeah good plan - ratings are sinking and nothing changes.

Perhaps TIIC should take a gander at WHO IS NOT watching instead of WHO IS.

And this goes beyond vets - it's really ANY actor who isn't one of their golden 6.

Instead of cutting the funds from the bottom, why not start at the TOP. JFP, Guza, Frons, Korte - how bout those guys? They're making 6 figures if not more, why not cut them and replace them or put them on recurring - I'm sure the fans of this show would welcome the change!

Jen

ETA: I suppose an "Old Broad's" night out would be out of the question, huh? Yeah thought so. God forbid the old gals get together and have a little fun. W/E.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never understood why GH didnt use more of Bobbie. After all, she's Carly's mother, and seeing as TPTB at GH have a big thing for Carly you think they'd use Bobbie in scenes, at least just to prop Carly and have Carly rant to etc... At least then Laura Wright's screaming pampered Valley girl shrew (all wrong for the supposedly tough trailer park kid) Carly would be a little more tolerable. She's also Lulu's aunt, they could have her dispensing motherley advice to her and have her in scenes with Laura Wright and Julie "Laura Wright, Jr" Berman. I dont see why that huge mass of potential has never been used.

• Members

I'm sad, but not surprised by this.

For me, the image of Bobbie is from her debut on the show...nasty nurse trying to bed Scotty and steal him from Laura.

She was a firecracker.

I didn't really stick with GH much after the Ice Princess, but it was nice to see Bobbie there year after year. I really enjoyed the period when she and Jake ran the brownstone/boarding house, I was probably one of the few who loved the Robyn Bernard (sp?) mystery on GH.

That said, I see a certain irony in all of this.

In the late 70s/early 80s, a bastion of beloved veterans (Steve, Audrey, Lucille) was shunted aside for a raft of newbies (Bobby, Luke, Laura, Scotty, Heather, etc.). Even though the vets remained on contract long after this, they were never really used effectively again.

Now, of course, the newbies who chased off our vets 25 years ago are...being chased off by newbies.

It feels vaguely karmic. But maybe this is just the natural cycle of soaps?

My two soaps are B&B and Y&R, and they have generally NOT disrespected the vets. I wonder why they can afford not to do this, and none of the others can. I guess #1 status and #1 global syndication status help :-).

Still, I'm sad about Bobbie. One of my last few connections to GH is gone, and I don't see why I'd ever go back...

• Members

ABCD, GH and their ageism really infuriate me. Pretty much every actress over 40 has either been fired or had their airtime reduced to almost nothing since Frons (the biggest offender of all in the ageism department) took over. My favorite, Constance Towers, is no exception. Here is an extremely talented and, yes, still beautiful, veteran actress who was last seen on GH almost A YEAR ago! There have been plenty of opportunities to bring Helena back, from what I have heard about the storylines since January (Obviously I'm not watching anymore. The show's treatment of Ms. Towers and the rest of the vets has angered me to the point of no longer watching). Although some of the men have been affected (Stuart Damon and for a while John Ingle), it's been largely the women who have been given the shaft (Jackie, Leslie, Rachel, Denise, Constance, etc) which reflects a side order of sexism to go along with the ageism. It's getting to the point that soaps with multi-generational casts have a nostalgia factor about them and that's really sad.

Archived