ATWT: Is this all is needed to make it somewhat better is different characters

• Members

Ok, so some might not agree and that is fine, but I have noticed something this week, when we start featuring different characters and even some of the normal characters in different storylines other than the same recycled storylines we tend to get a better soap. I don't want to turn this into a Luke and Noah thread and won't but that is one of the elements it is a new and fresh storyline with different characters instead of the same characters interacting with the same people, another thing I loved this week is the Lily and Dusty scenes, number one because it makes both of them more intersting and number two it gets them out of there old tired storylines that they are always in. Also the Henry and Vienna relationship adds a great difference to some shows. On the show on Thursday another thing Carly and Craig scenes again characters that don't normally interact, were interacting and it made the show better to me. Seeing Paul with Rosanna instead of Meg or Craig again major difference.

To me if the show would just keep doing this type of thing and having different storylines it would make a huge difference, you have to figure in the last year almost all we have really gotten was Meg/Paul/Emily/Craig, Will/Gwen, Carly/Jack/Katie, Brad and those were the main storylines and that was it, and those just drag on and on. As much as I love Carjack they either need to get them together now or just backburner the whole quad because after a year frankly that storyline is boring me, yes the Jack and Carly scenes were great the last two days, but they have done that 20 times in the last year it is time to either get them together or just end it whatever but something has to be done with them already. Will and Gwen and there neverending storylines took up most of the first half of the year, and again something new and different and not what they are planning needs to happen in that storyline, I want to see Will interact with other people other than Gwen, and I want Gwen to interact with Carly and well that is about it,lol. As for the Craig/Meg/Paul thing how boring can it get, way to much dragging on of the storyline, again it seems just as simple as adding something more than just repeating the storyline.

I know alot more is needed than just the different characters, but does anyone else think that is a major step in improving the show as a whole?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think more and different character interactions are desperately needed on the show. It's ridiculous that while a certain story is going on, only those characters interact with each other, almost exclusively. All it really does is make every conversation seem endlessly repetitive. Like today...I swear this is the FIRST time Meg and Carly have had a direct conversation (other than exchanged pleasantries at a Snyder holiday, maybe)...and Marie Wilson's been on the show 2 or 3 YEARS and they're in the same family!

And there have been enough teens on the show in the past 3 years to really make them seem like friends (or enemies, whatever a story would have called for...) but until the past three or four months, Luke was ridiculously isolated from that group.

You can't tell story if different characters don't interact. Duh!

• Members

It's the isolation that is killing this show.

I remember back during the horror of the Paul psychic storyline, even SOW pointed out how ridiculous it was that Paul's brother Will and his ex wife Emily were going through horrendous times (the whole Adam thing for Will and the hooker thing for Em) and not ONE vision. All his visions were about Meg and the Snyders (except the first one or two). That story, as sucky as it was, would have been a GOOD way to let Paul interact with other people, he could have had random visions (if they were so insistent on the visions, which, they shouldn't have been) of different citizens in Oakdale. Instead it isolated him more than ever.

How come we didn't get to see Tom and Emily discussing Emily taking Daniel out of the country?

And it's well documented how I feel about Barbara never being told onscreen about her granddaughter dying.

It's ridiculous that it took until yesterday for Carly and SB's Craig to share scenes.

Have Dusty and SB's Craig shared scenes? Aren't they both supposedly (I say that loosely) looking for the same kid?

Lily and Dusty seems to be the exception to the rule, as it's mining history and using a long established relationship.

The show oughta do more stuff like that.

• Members
:) I agree we need to see the characters enteract with more characters instead of the same characters in their circle. The writing for the show needs to improve. The new characters are boring. I have zero interest in them. I enjoyed Carly and Meg and Craig and Carly and Jack and Meg they were great. It would be nice if we they would have women working in business and on their personal lives instead of making all about needing a man in their lives. The samething with the men do they ever go to work? We see guys making their lives about the women in it. I like the previews for the fall because two of my favorite characters Paul and Meg are going to be front and center in the quad. It would be nice if we could see Paul get a job or start a businesss of his own. Meg is the CEO of a company but you hardly ever see her in the office. Carly and lily going into business togather that could work if the writers took the time and wrote a good S/L .

• Members

I think it's a lot more than just mixing up different characters and think the biggest thing needed is better writing so the conversations and stories are fresher. I agree there is way too much isolation and liked seeing different characters but I also think there has been some excellent dialog the last couple of days which really helped. The conversations haven't been repetitive. One of my complaints is not only do we see the same people over and over together but they keep saying the same things. It really comes down to the writing for me. Better writing makes the dialog freshed and better writing should intermingle more characters in the stories. It all starts with the writing. Just mixing of the characters with the same bad writing isn't going to solve anything.

I know a lot of people keep saying Carly and Jack keep doing the same thing over and over and think the solution is to break them up. While some may be bored by them it is the one thing that I still find to be the most interesting and what keeps me tuning in. They still are hugely popular so I just don't get the suggestion to just end them or backburner them. The problem is the writing. So why totally give the writers a pass and do away with a hugely popular couple? Why not push the writers to come up with something different for them? I think on Wednesday they had some of the best and most fun scenes they have had in over a year. When the writing is good they are still fun to watch. We all like different things on the show and what is needed is balance. What might bore you might be what I love and vice versa. If the show had better balance and better writing I think a lot of people would be happier. I'm not going to tune in if it's just a matter of switching the people around and the writing is bad and those that I do find interesting have all disappeared.

• Members

This problem has been going on for years. I remember last year when the show got very boring and I couldn't figure out why because the storylines themselves didn't seem bad. However after I thought about it...it was because it was basically the same storylines over and over again. How many times are Craig and Paul going to fight over a woman? I think they kind of mixed up the interactions by throwing Katie into the Carly and Jack story..and getting Dusty out of the Craig/Paul/Barbara mess but it's still repetitive because now all you see is Katie with Brad, Jack or Carly (rarely her brother or sister). That's just one example but characters never interact with others ouside of their storylines. This happens on other soaps sometimes but ATWT is the worst soap at this. Lets see how many scenes Carly has with Rosanna over the next month now that she's back.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

On, GH it's completely the opposite. There are a lot of character interactions. Take Kate Howard for example. So far, she has interacted with Clarice, Sonny, Carly, Diane, Warren, Mike, Rick, Trevor, Epiphany, Elizabeth, Amelia, Alexis, Jerry, Bernie, Jax, Michael, Morgan, Patrick, Mac, Emily, Cruz and Marty. Am I missing anybody? :D

• Members

everyone u named, aside from epip & patrick, is in the mob, such minor char's, or cops dealing with the mob. thas her storyline. the mob.

------

i agree with the first post. and i think it goes for all soaps. they they need is something new. not the same thing on everyshow going on and on over and over again. ATWT triangle with luke/noah/maddie is a typical soap triangle. however, it has heart and it was told.it wasnt soved at ou. you were not told what couple to root for. there was no good and bad side. whenw as the last triangle like this?

i also agree about the carjack stuff. there scenes r always good, but its the same thing for last few years. they breakup. carly is bad. jack is moving on. carly acts like a child. something tragic happens. they get back together. its all soo... borring.

Archived