Meerkat Manor 8/10 season 3

DAMfan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree! I felt bad for her when she miscarried the other week. It was sad. But, she might prove to be an awesome leader-- if she continues on her current path. She does need a mate and Zephod can't be her mate. I hate that he's gotta leave the group if he can't be dom male :(

Does anyone know whatever happened to Youssarian? He was with the Whiskers and then this season, they just never mentioned him again (he's obviously not with the Whiskers gang anymore).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Oh my, another loss with the death of Kinkajoo. The Starskys are all gone except for Mozart. Hope she can join another group. I was hoping that the Whiskers would take her back. DAM fan, you say a fire may be coming? The poor meerkats! Are there only two more episodes left? I haven't been watching long but I am totally hooked on this show.

• Members

There are 2 MM shows of the 3rd season. There is a nice artiicle in TV Guide this week about MM and Flower - it looks like the 4th season will be in summer, MM is the number one show on Animal Planet, also it doesn't look like the Whisker Family will be torn appart because Flower was such strong leader and good mother and also there is going to be a "Flower" movie. :o

• Members

October 27, 2007

Death Stalks the Meerkats Yet Again

EDWARD WYATT

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 26 — Another tragedy has befallen the meerkats.

Mozart, the troubled daughter of Flower, the late matriarch of the Whiskers clan on the popular Animal Planet series "Meerkat Manor," died at the end of Friday's episode; it was the second death to shake fans of the show's lovable but hard-luck stars in a month.

After Flower's death — from a snake bite — in the Sept. 28 episode, fans flooded the Internet with tributes in poem, picture and song. Early this week, as news of Mozart's demise leaked out, similar tributes began to crop up online.

For the uninitiated, "Meerkat Manor" traces the lives of the members of several colonies of meerkats in the Kalahari Desert of southern Africa as they procreate, fight for territory and scarce resources and race around looking as cute as all get-out. The Whiskers clan is part of a 13-year study that was originated by Cambridge University and has been followed on camera by producers from Animal Planet for the last three years.

To the dismay of the show's more fervent fans, the life span of a Kalahari meerkat turns out to be not much different from that of the average soap opera villain. Despite calls from some fans after the death of Flowers for the repeal of the Darwinian laws of the desert, the producers have no such refinements in mind.

But they did learn something from the uproar created after the first season, when Shakespeare, a lovable scamp of a meerkat, disappeared and was presumed to have died. The producers place radio collars on each family's dominant female, the better to track the families' movements, but because Shakespeare, a male, simply went missing, there was no visual evidence of his demise. When Flower succumbed to snakebite, the radio collar let producers track her movements closely and provide viewers with visible closure.

With Mozart, the cause of death was uncertain — it was likely that she fell prey one night to a passing jackal, the show's narrator intones — but viewers are shown her lifeless body, if from a tasteful distance. Although one meerkat looks much like another, the producers mark each animal with a strategically placed spot of hair dye to tell them apart.

All is not lost, however. Fans of the show are likely to see more of Flower, and perhaps Mozart, in a feature film, "Queen of the Kalahari," tentatively scheduled for release next year.

• Members

R.I.P. Mozart thought she might make it with Wilson but it's not going to be and felt bad for Wilson - when he went to look for her and saw her lying in the sand, now we have one more show left of this season and will Rocket dog be strong enough to be the leader??

:(

• Members

Thanks Sylph for that info. I have grown to love the Meerkats in the short time I have been watching and each death is heart wrenching. Unlike soaps, our favorite Meerkats won't rise again. RIP Flower, Kinkajoo and Mozart. Oh, yes, we lost Carlos a few weeks ago too. And several pups.

Archived