DAYS/PSSNS: When/Why did you start hating JER?

• Members

Don't forget Toups (Founder of the JER Alliance)

Same here, I've been disappointed (Sheridan in the pit) before, but of course I'm not going to like every single thing he does. Reilly will forever be my favorite writer. His writing is campy, gothic, over the top & crazy, but he always manages to throw in romance, drama, intrigue, and mystery. And NO ONE can write Christmas & New Years like JER. The man is pure genius because he know what sells, and how to create buzz and get ratings up. His current PSNS storylines are very [NAME NOT ALLOWED] but ratings are not reflecting because the show is cancelled and people just won't invest into the show anymore.

After PSNS is over he will end up somewhere else and I will be there watching.

Of course those are just my opinions, and I will probably get called out :lol:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was never a JER fan...but I lost respect and thought the stuff he wrote for PASSIONS especially was lame when...does anyone rememeber the longest day in PASSIONS history from like Mid-Summer to Late-November...all one day and then the next was Thanksgiving! That was laughable and I tuned out.

• Members

I remember the moment I hated JER when it came to Passions. It was when Gwen got away with the tabloid lie after Al raped Theresa. That should've been the end to that story right there because there was no way Gwen could be redeemed. She should've been exposed at that moment, but NOOOO. JER instead got huffy when it came out that he was going to expose her and that was the end of that. The minute he made it out like Theresa deserved to get raped, I couldn't tolerate his crap.

• Members

Exactly.

Some may argue that the castle and the island were results of re-writes but everything else during and after those stories was nowhere close to being must see or even tolerable. Granted, Days did have a brief period from about July 2005-February 2006 where it was ok and not downright horrible but everything else before and surrounding that period was horrible.

I think Iraq was a breaking point for many people too. That and making Tony into Stefano II. I started to regain hope when JER began 2006 with a bang with Zack's death and that was his chance to show us he could write an emotonal, character-driven story for once and he failed nearly two months in when it became about making yet another go around for Billie/Bo/Hope. He was hit or miss after his first 9 months during his second run but there were more misses then hits. Although, I will say, I re-watch some of those episodes from the SSK story and now I see why some didn't care for it. There was still so much left unexplained and there were a ton of plot holes.

JER's first Days run and early Passions run will always be praised by me. Yes, there were annoyances like false cliffhangers and so on but the stories were amazing and edge of your seat. Something I always wodnered about was Passions in 2004-mid 2005. The show had a renaissance then but the show also lost it's identity. It went traditional and I liked it. In fact, I loved it. Then, we had the tsunami and GG leaving and it seems that since then the show never recovered. As good as that traditional period was, I always wondered if that was a bad idea. Passions was always a mix of campy, traditional, and the supernatural and it lost the supernatural completely for 2004-mid 2005. I mean, we barelt saw Tabitha at all. That and it was no longer about shock and awe but classic soap twists and turns. Mid 2005 that all changed and it seems they tried to bring back supernatural Passions and the shock and awe stories only JER didn't know what to do to top himself. To me, that is clearly where his current fetish with rape and mysoginy came from because he couldn't come up with anything else to top himself because he had done so much and other soaps have too. JER became too focused on pushing the envelope for the plot and the characters on both his shows (especially on Passions) were sacrificed and that is where I grew to hate him. Passions has had it's moments since then (now being another decent period) but it has never recovered consistency. It was gradual but it all started with the island and castle on Days, then Iraq, then Passions's fall in mid-late 2005, and then JER butchering the Zack story. After the Zack story fell apart and after JER insisted on destroying characters left and right on both shows and deciding to rape nearly every female in Harmony, I was done with him.

Archived