OLTL: Higley's creations all being fired+ rewrites= New HW?

• Members

As Errol stated, Frons' bosses are not happy. You really think these consultants were Frons' idea? Hell no. Those over his head are making these changes and he has to go with it.

Fans are not happy and are campaigning to the right people. Over on SoapCentral there was a campaign called the H.E.R. Initiative (which stood for Hilary, Erika, Robin) and it was a campaign started to give Hilary a new contract and good stories for Erika and Robin. That eventually morphed into the C.H.E.R.I. Initiative (which added Catherine Hickland and Ilene Kristen). They launched an effective, well thought out and respectful campaign that led to OLTL giving Hilary a new contract and new big stories for Catherine, Hilary and Ilene in 2007. You think Frons did that? No, it was his bosses.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So Ryan, does that mean that AMC is not going to be getting a new HW then? If OLTL and GH are going to be getting Alden and Smith, what in the world are they going to do with AMC? It is the soap that needs the most help write now. They can't possibly consider keeping McT past her contract?!?!?!? And AMC needs the strongest writer out of Alden and Smith because they need the most help. I am not familiar with their work. Who is the stronger writer, Kay Alden or Jack Smith?

If changes are made to OLTL and GH and nothing is done to AMC, you might as well cancel the show now.

• Members

No one said that OLTL was getting or isn't getting one of the new writers. But changes are being made across the board. I think they are just trying to find where to place the new consultants now whyamcwhy.

Allegedly, Jack Smith is working on GH. Alden's alternating between OLTL and AMC. OLTL does have writers within their team that they can promote to interim headwriter. Carolyn Culliton is a very capable writer and has very good stories.

• Members

If that's the order of changes made in the ABC soaps, it's a little surprising to me. I always personally thought it would be GH first, then AMC, and then OLTL; just judging on the apparent importance of each of the soaps to ABC.

But I agree, is something is done to improve the quality of two of their three soaps, they might as well go ahead and do something to improve the third.

• Members

Thanks for the info Ryan. The fact that they are taking their sweet old time to make these changes really angers me. Frons should have made changes a long time ago and the fact that he didn't, makes me wonder why he still has a job. If his bosses went and acquired Alden and Smith, then why in the world is he still employed??? And the fans and the shows continue to suffer while they are either waiting for contracts to expire or trying to figure out where to put these people. I just don't think tweaking here and there and a consultant is enough to save these soaps. The new HW's need to step in now. They need a complete overhaul and they need it ASAP. ABC can't afford to wait anymore.

My level of frustration is so high with ABC/AMC that I don't want to wait anymore. I have been waiting for McT to go for a long time. I can't make it through another four to six months waiting for a writing change. Not when other soaps are so good right now like Days. And i wouldn't be surprised if the Zarf storyline extended Mct stay until the end of her contract. I think that was her final chance. So that means we have to wait even longer for change on AMC. Why should I give them anymore chances.

Sorry for the rant.

• Members

If the rumours about Tobis are true, then I am beginning to think more and more that Highly is done. I don't know that much of her temper or anything, but if she was still in control, and even with Jack Smith and Kay Alden consulting all the soaps, would she really let this many of her newbies go? I know Claudia was her decision, so were Hugh and Ted, but Spencer? He was her main newbie and her prized character that other than John the show revolved around.

And, if he is gone, Vincent? I couldn't possibly see that happening, because he only came in back in April, and it seems like she had long term plans for him.

• Members

Believe me DaysFan, Claudia was not her choice. It was higherups, She just had to comment on it to make her look like she knows what the hell she is doing. She really has no say. She writes for who is there. The only way she gets say is if she refuses to write for a character...and if she does that...she fired!

• Members

I've heard lots of moaning as people react to Alden and Smith being divied out to AMC and GH, but the only show that shows major evidence of change is OLTL. HBS's contract, Spencer out, Claudia out, Lindsay being used more....even the upcoming Viki/Dorian feud over Clint are not things that one would expect if trio was calling the shots -- but it doesn't equal a pink slip even for Higley quite yet. (But it gives one hope.) The problems with OLTL go far beyond just doling out stories to veteran characters: Getting characters back into character, restoring likeability and rootablity, and patching holes.

AMC doesn't show much sign of improvement. If the Zarf story fails, the show is in real trouble -- yet there are even more upcoming departures. GH is holding after Laura's story -- but it looks like it comes at a very high price. The only way to save the upcoming storyline is if somehow they managed to find the budget to put GF back on the canvas as a result of it. Since she is running a store in New England, I don't see that happening.

• Members

I would love to be able to watch OLTL again.

GH has improved dramatically over the past month - since Genie returned.

I like the changes being made; I hope OLTL gets good and stays good.

(I really wish they would get real Paul back. The actor works so much better as Todd on OLTL> He's good at anything, but he was perfect with Blair as Todd.)

Archived