AMC/OLTL: Dr. Polk crossover

• Members

I tried to find the crossovers thread and gave up.

I was reading a soap magazine from 1971 where a reader asked for info about the actor who played Dr. Marcus Polk. I don't know if it was the same actor who was playing him during what is probably the character's biggest claim to fame - being murdered by Tracy James in 1986.

Anyway, the column said Dr. Polk had appeared on both AMC and OLTL.

Does anyone know what he did on AMC? I assume on OLTL he was, from early on, involved with Viki's treatment, but wasn't sure what issues he might have dealt with on AMC.

Is this a crossover that is ever mentioned? I'd never heard of it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carl, Dr. Polk was involved in the storyline with Kitty Shea. Briefly: Ann Tyler married Nick Davis against Phoebe's objections, and the marriage was often unstable due to Ann's wealth. Nick learned that he was sterile, and fearing that Ann would see him as even more inadequate as a man and provider, he asked her for a divorce. On the rebound, Ann married Paul Martin, and Nick became involved with dependent, neurotic Kitty Shea. When Kitty discovered that she was pregnant by Nick, he realized he wasn't sterile after all. The divorce from Ann had been unnecessary.

Nick vowed to get Ann back. Kitty went insane at the thought of losing Nick. She told Ann that she was pregnant by Nick, and if Ann really loved him, she would convince Nick to marry Kitty and provide a good home for their child. Kitty used Nick's guilt over not being a father to Philip Brent as a weapon. Ann agreed that Nick would one day regret abandoning another son and talked Nick into marrying Kitty. No one knew that Dr. Clater, Kitty's OB, had recommended she abort the child due to medical complications which would make it impossible to carry to full term. Kitty ignored him and married Nick. Shortly thereafter, she did miscarry. Nick saw that as an out. He was now free to divorce Kitty and pursue Ann. But, Kitty grew even more despondent and desperate.

While in hospital, she stole a bottle of morphine from the drug cabinet. With the painkiller concealed in her purse, she invited herself to Ann's to discuss what they would do about the situation with Nick. This played out over several episodes with the audience led to believe that Kitty was going to kill Ann. I believe Ruth discovered the missing vial of morphine, and with the same fears, rushed to Ann's to ensure that Kitty had not harmed her. Nick was told and confronted Kitty, who promptly collapsed. She had intended to kill herself, not Ann, and had taken the morphine. Kitty was saved and hospitalized in the psychiatric unit. Dr. Polk appeared on All My Children that summer to treat Kitty, who claimed that Nick and Ann had conspired against her, to have her committed so that they would be free to marry.

Archived