Where Has Character Connection Gone On Daytime?

• Members

But remember, these scenes weren't the norm, even for Marland at GL, this was a combination of it being the culmination episode, where all of Nola's manipulations and lies caught up with her, and Marland's frustration of what went on during the writer's strike (the producer's insistence that Nola actually suceed in tricking him into marrying her so they could drag the storyline out) and his need to quickly end it and send the characters off to a new direction (Nola's redemption, which I think came way too soon..she had some more tricks up her sleave...)

I do think that Marland was a master of that on ATWT, he would have long scenes, but they would involve many, many characters coming in and interacting with the two "lead," characters, either in the room or even by phone. There would be so much going on that many time the viewer would be "tricked," into thinking the scene was shorter...even if nothing happened (which happened a lot, the scenes were for exploring someones feelings, conflicts more so then pushing the plot forward) it seemed like it did as so much was going on. I have no idea why more writers have not studied his ATWT just for that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You may not have ment this, but GL did this with their dumbass "Inside the Light," shows. Some of which were very, very good, most of which were very, very bad. Having a show a week dedicated to this would stop the show in its tracks and screw up continuity. Also, most of the time it was a cheap ruse to promote the same characters that they were chocking us with day in and day out (Harley and Gus, Reva and Cassie, Jon and Tams) or to almost "get out of the way," stuff with the supporting characters, like the Rick and Mel thing (we had hints things werent well in Bauerville, but we never saw them, so then they get an episode where their marriage falls apart and we find out that Rick and Beth have been having an affair, something that we should have seen grow all along.)

However, I do agree with you that having occasional shows like this would be great, but a weekly diet of it, no way.

Archived