October 11-15, 2010

Toups

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, no...This was about the California judge who ruled DADT illegal. For about one week, gays were allowed in the miliarty but two days ago Obama had the AG file for an emergency injunction and DADT was restored. Now we are back to the original review process. Here, in NYC, a gay ex-marine was shown on TV re-enlisting but it only lasted like two days. This who process has become a total mess.

• Members

I'm aware of the DADT rulings. My point was Obama's DOJ stepping in is all part and parcel of the deal he cut with Gates. I'll do whatever I can to slow the repeal while you conduct your "review" and strong arm brass. Mullen, Gates, Obama, all know they can repeal it tomorrow but the military's top brass are the real rulers.

• Members

I wouldn't invest too much in what SavingATWT has to say. He has his own opinion and nothing anyone says or does is going to change that, even if the other person has sound evidence to back up their contradictory claim.

For example, SavingATWT was adamant in his belief that those old ATWT viewers would magically migrate over to OLTL once ATWT ended. He was so convinced this would happen. Yet, the first week without ATWT on the schedule, OLTL actually lost viewers. When OLTL gained viewers the next week, SavingATWT was back with his notion that these were all those old ATWT viewers that he predicted would switch over to OLTL...a week late.

SavingATWT claimed that OLTL's ratings increased after the firing of two actors who portrayed gay characters. Yet, he ignored the fact that OLTL actually set a record low for viewers after the two actors were long gone. But, he blames that record low on the teen characters. When confronted with the evidence that OLTL lost viewers in the aftermath of the "Kish" departure, he claims it was due to disgruntled gay viewers. Other posters on this board list facts and figures (like OLTL setting a record low after the gay characters were dropped), while SavingATWT lists "facts" that can't be substantiated (like the gay viewership boycott).

Personally, I feel that SavingATWT has his own set of beliefs and goes about finding - or making up - evidence to support those claims. No matter of arguing is going to change that. I don't really think SavingATWT has any credibility left as a result.

• Members

I don't want this "soap" board turning into a political one, but actually it is Congress that has to do the repealing of DADT. Just because Secretary Gates or Admiral Mullen or President Obama wants it gone doesn't really matter.

The House of Representatives has already approved the repeal, but the Democratic majority in the Senate was not able to overcome a Republican filibuster (requiring 60 votes to end) that stalled the DADT repeal in that chamber.

The military report on the repercussions on the removal of DADT will be released Dec. 1 and if that report is favorable to the repeal, the Senate (which will still have a Democratic majority regardless of what happens in November until January 2011) may decide to repeal the ban.

For the record, the reason that President Obama gave for appealing the DADT decision to a higher court was because he wants to ban to be repealed through the legislative process and not the judicial process. It's actually a smart move, because a legislative repeal will deprive any conservative critics from railing against those "extremist judges" who "legislate from the bench".

• Members

LoL--you don't like me...ouch ;)

-OLTL gained viewers in the four weeks following KISH--go look it up

-Week to week means nothing, quarters tell you a lot more regarding trends. For that quarter there was a drop which may well have been some annoyed gay fans.

-I never said anything about the teen cast. That was someone else and you are confused.

-Since the end of ATWT, OLTL have picked up around 300,000 viewers. Given that a new cast member, PGP vet Zimmer, has joined, some of these people are probably new.

-I was wrong about Y&R repeats, oh no ;(

We all have opinions, pimp them in here and not one of us is a soap expert. I do read a lot and, in the process, pick up bits of info which I use when making comments.

I'm rather flattered that you wrote so many words all about me. BTW, you have a lovely writing style ;)

• Members

I like you +1

I read a lot and clearly you do, too. Legislative is always best and, as a lot of people have pointed out, should have been used for abortion because it shuts the opposition out. I don't think Obama expected to lookse the House and (possibly) the Senate when he asked for the review process. Now that realities on the ground have changed, Obama will end up signing an Executive Order like Truman to integrate the Armed Forces. This will let judges off the hook and give this effort teeth. I'm sure a 'majority' of the services during Truman's time was outraged but they got over it and these troops will, too. This is going to be really interesting because of the numerous gay career soldiers already in the ranks.

We should probably private chat about this in the future. We are probably annoying all of the people who want to just talk soap.

Archived