General Hospital: Night Shift coming to DVD

• Members

There are loads of different ways the soaps could be released on DVD - the foreign markets have finally cottoned on that it's a lucrative thing to get into to.

Coronation Street has been released with 8-10 episodes per year. The 10 year DVD sets then make up a decade box set and so far the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s have all been released.

Neighbours has recently begun to release Iconic Episode Volumes. 3 discs a piece with 22 or so random episodes. So far 2 have been completed and I assume they'll continue until they've covered the big stuff. Emmerdale's just done something similar.

Alternatively the cancelled Aussie soap E Street has gone by storyline with consecutive episodes for 'The Best of Mr Bad'. Part 1 has 20 episodes, and Part 2 will be released next month.

So many options and the studios could make a killing. Especially as unlike these foreign shows, for the most part there is very little to do in the way of music clearance which is what usually causes hold ups and adds on expense.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, there are a lot of ways to do it.

The could even sell classic episodes on itunes. They could do the most memorable episodes in general, or the best for certain characters. I would definitely buy it, and I think it could be quite profitable. There's clearly a demand for classic soaps- those youtube clips sometimes et a lot of viewers. Releasing them on DVD or itunes could make some mcuh needed funds.

I do think, though, that Frons is starting to catch on the demand for classic soap. I'm guessing he's testing the waters, and figuring out how many people are interested with the "relax and relapse" episodes on SOAPnet.

Archived