Is GL the next to be cancelled, with ATWT on the way?

• Members

I found this article on the TWoP board for ATWT, not sure if it's true. I hope not. I can't see CBS the #1 soap network giving up without a fight. But things are looking so dire at ATWT (with no end in sight) I am VERY worried!

CBS Turns Out The 'Light'

Just days after NBC announced the cancellation of its daytime drama "Passions," CBS is expected to announce Monday that its long-running soap opera "Guiding Light" will go off the air in June. The show, which is celebrating its 70th anniversary this month, is the longest running program in broadcast history according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Debuting on radio in 1937, the show moved to television in 1952, and has been airing on CBS daytime since. In its heyday, the show drew more than 10 million viewers daily, but those numbers have dwindled in recent years (as have viewers for all the daytime dramas), and the economics of the situation could no longer justify CBS, or the show's production company, Procter and Gamble, keeping the show on air. The hour will be returned to CBS affiliates. At the same time, the other CBS soap opera that Procter and Gamble produces, "As the World Turns," has been renewed through March 2009, at which time it too will likely be cancelled, according to insiders. NBC has already let it be known that its only other daytime drama, the Sony produced "Days of Our Lives," will leave the air that same month, leading to speculation that the show will likely end up on CBS just as 'World' leave the airwaves. Once one of the most profitable dayparts among the networks, daytime is no longer the cash cow it once was, and profit margins are slim. ABC is the only network turning a healthy profit with its soaps, thanks to its ownership of its shows, youthful demogrpahics, and repurposing on the cabler SoapNet. ABC earlier this week denied rumors that it was planning to cancel one of its dramas for an extra hour of "Good Morning America."

Reuters/Nielsen

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived