ATWT: Maura West SOW Interview

• Members

Carolyn: You barely look pregnant

Maura West: That's very kind. THey are experts at shooting this now- a lot of black, no full body shots.

C: That hasn't been easy, considering all the sex scenes you've had lately.

M: I've had more sex scenes pregnant than I have in years! I said, "Please stop writing this. I"m rolling around on the bed with this giant gut and it's very uncomfortable."

C: Did they have to cut into the bed to make it look smaller?

M: No, although I have done that in the past. I was in a hospital bed where I wasn't supposed to be pregnant, so they had this foam mattress. They cut out the butt so my midsection would sink.

C: Did you ask for a longer maternity leave this time, or is that just how it worked out?

M: It just happened that way because Paul Leyden [simon] was leaving. I could have gone a few more weeks, but I probably woulnd't have come back after Christmas because the baby is due at the end of January.

C: What's your story going to be when you come back? You can't do a post-baby story like Martha Byrne (where Lily feels overweight after having her baby), because Carly wasn't pregnant.

M: I don't know. It's funny that you have Martha, who is absolutely stunning, looking in th emirror and thinking she's fat and ugly. It's like, "What is this woman talking about?" It's phantom ugliness. But the reality is, after you have a baby you feel funky. Not just physically, you are in a funk. If told right, that story has possibilities.

C: Did ATWT even consider writing your pregnancy in?

M: No, I think with all the kids that porr Carly already has that aren't even hers-J.J. and everybody who are these people?!-to have this free-spirited woman saddled with yet one more would be a big mistake. I'm glad they decided against it.

C: Good point. Jack arrests Carly this week, so who is taking care of the kids?

M: Well, the mysterious neighbor is still on call apparently as our sitter. They've also aged the kids, which helps. The boys are 13 so for short periods of time they can be left alone. It always bothers me when I hear fans or whoever constantly saying, "Who is taking care of the kids?" I mean, really. Then you would have no show! IF all the characters who have children are at home watching their children, then we have no show. So we have to occasionally pretend that we don't have them for an episode or two.

C: I see your point, except that THAT makes all the women on the show bad moms.

M: That's exactly the truth. This is what I"m going through with Carly right now. "OH, you're such a good mom!" and the reality is that no, she's not, because of what we were juts talking about. Where are the children when all of this is happening? They're home alone. That happens a lot. It's hard to solve that problem because otherwise you end up having to have a scene where a character talks to a babysitter every time they go anywhere, and boy, is THAT boring. So I think sometimes it's just best to ignore it.

C: I suppose you can have the drama of the pregnancy with the wrong dad, and then the baby needs a bone marrow transplant...

M: ...or gets switched or blown up in a fire...

C:...and then goes to boarding school...

M:...and them comes back and is 14 doing drugs...

C:...or turns up a homeless urchin and then all of a sudden is a singer making a record.

M: Hey, that's a good one. At least Gwen is productive!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG thank you Maura! ITA! Why is JJ still around?! Seriously ATWT just pull a Bobby Martin on him. I would soooo look the other way and play dumb! It's worth it. And I agree w/ Maura that ATWT's crew are experts at shooting pregnancies... you could rarely tell unless you were really looking for it.

Archived