Another school shooting....this time in Missouri

Scotty

• Members

Mo. Student Held In Gunfire Incident

(AP) JOPLIN, Mo. A student fired a gun inside a middle school Monday morning but didn't hit anyone and no injuries were reported, police said.

The Memorial Middle School student, who was not identified, was in custody, said Joplin Police Lt. Geoff Jones.

"It was a very close call," said Joplin R-8 Superintendent Jim Simpson. He said other students were taken to the gymnasium and were being picked up by their parents.

(© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We've had more threats from high school kids come up at a lot of the schools in my area.

It saddens me that this is what some have resorted to: getting a gun to settle a score, or take their anger, depression, or frustrations out on others. A part of me truly wonders if parents truly take the time to talk to their children about what is going on in their lives. Did any of these parents take the time to have one on one talks with their children? Do they actually ask them about their feelings or what bothers them?

• Members

So scary. :(

Our school always had bomb threats and students who brought knives and guns in, but we all thought it was kind of funny until Columbine happened. Then we had to have these "lock-down" drills several times a year. It was always frightening! We used to be able to carry back-pack around in my HS, and some of the "troubled" students had to wear clear bags instead, but then they told us we couldn't carry bags or wear hoods or big jackets. I actually got suspended my junior year for wear a hood. :rolleyes:

I understand that HS sucks. A lot of people hate HS. I hated HS and I hated a lot of people in my HS, but I would never do something so violent. It makes you wonder if anyone noticed that something's wrong w/ the kids.

Archived