And The Band Played On Ending Scene

Shawn

• Members

This last scene of the movie And The Band Played On always gets to me.

Set to the song "Last Song" by Elton John, it shows real footage of victims and their families during the AIDS crisis.

Another reason the song gets to me is that the lyrics remind me of my own relationship with me father:

Yesterday you came to lift me up

As light as straw and brittle as a bird

Today I weigh less than a shadow on the wall

Just one more whisper of a voice unheard

Tomorrow leave the windows open

As fear grows please hold me in your arms

Won't you help me if you can to shake this anger

I need your gentle hands to keep me calm

`Cause I never thought I'd lose

I only thought I'd win

I never dreamed I'd feel

This fire beneath my skin

I can't believe you love me

I never thought you'd come

I guess I misjudged love

Between a father and his son

Things we never said come together

The hidden truth no longer haunting me

Tonight we touched on the things that were never spoken

That kind of understanding sets me free

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What was so heartbreaking when I saw this movie was learning of sooo many babies being born with the disease...and also how some folks still treated those who had AIDs with such distain and disrespect.

This movie, along with Philadelphia are the two movies that brought me to an attention about AIDs and being a part of AIDS awareness.

• Members

The amount of stars that appeared in this movie, even if it was just as a glorified extra, showed that it was a message that needed to be sent to the public.

The first time I saw it was when it first aired in 1993. I didn't really understand all of it at the age of 11, but when I saw it online for sale two years ago, I snatched it up so I could tune in again. It was a smart move on my part. One of the most moving things I've ever seen, and the catalyst for my wanting to volunteer my time for the things that matter.

• Members

I adore this movie and the book was even better. It's amazing. Everyone should watch this.

I think it was Richard Gere who was the first big star that took a role in the movie, then people like Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin signed on. It was such a huge turning point in the fight against AIDS. That it wasn't ignored. Thank you Shawn for sharing this scene.

• Members

Richard Gere wasn't the person that stood out for me in terms of taking a role in the movie... Matthew Modine was the one that caught my attention, then those that followed after him...

Being so young when I saw it, I had so many questions that I asked....I remember asking my grandmother why folks would refuse to drink at the same water fountain as someone who had AIDS or why they refused to hold their hand.... It wasn't until I was in school that we were shown the Ryan White Story that I saw how cruel others could be.

• Members

In middle school there was a girl that was in my class who's father had AIDS....the things that the kids would say to her was heart-breaking....I don't know if she told someone about her father or what may have happened, but whatever way it came about, some of the school kids made things so miserable for her. Moving their desks so they wouldn't touch hers; purposely not drinking from a water fountain that she drank from; all sorts of crap... Her parents transferred her within a month and the teacher had a big class discussion as to how ignorance and lack of understanding can hurt so much for someone else that is on the receiving end.

Archived