Lousiana Mayor proves once again he's an idiot

Bree

• Members

Confirmed as a true story from Snopes.com:

Ray Nagin does it again

Do you remember New Orleans 'Katrina' mayor Ray Nagin? The one that tried to teach 1,200 buses to swim while his citizen's drowned? Once again, he has demonstrated his ability to deal with hard realities.

According to The New Orleans Times Picayune there were 50,000 vehicles ruined in Katrina and abandoned by their owners.

The largest auto crusher east of the Rockies, K&L Auto Crushers of Tyler, Texas offered to pay the City of New Orleans $100.00 per vehicle, 'as is, where is', an estimated $5 million net to the city. They agreed to bring in 5 to 10 portable crushers, work 6 days per week and complete the job in 15 weeks.

Of course, mayor Nagin knew better how to do the job and refused the offer saying the city would do the job themselves. It seems that now it will cost the City $23 million to complete the job. The vehicles are still there today instead of being cleaned out 5 Months ago.

Now, lets see if I have this correct. By doing it J&L's way the City of New Orleans would net $5 million. Doing it mayor Nagin's way costs the city $23 million for a net cost to the City of New Orleans of $28,000,000.

This is the same mayor that wants The United States taxpayers to give $50 billion to New Orleans and let him rebuild a "Chocolate City" his way without any oversight or any control.

:blink: What is this goober thinking? His decision not only cost the city tons of money, but the job was never completed, so he had to get another contractor to finish everything, to the tune of $33 million.

Also, WHY did so many in Louisiana vote for him again, considering he did such a crappy job reacting to Hurricane Katrina?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a lifelong resident of Louisiana, I have to respond, lol!

You would think that after a year, things would be better, right? And in a lot of places, they really are. I hate that shows like Anderson Cooper only show the absolute worst places, like the Lower 9th Ward and St. Bernard Parish - there has been a lot of progress, especially in my parish (county). I live about 40 miles north of New Orleans, and things are better, but not 100%. A lot of people are still rebuilding (including myself), but we are moving forward.

New Orleans is a different story. It's like they're in slow motion for some reason. Some people blame Nagin - he's definitely a good target and I think worthy of at least some of the blame, along with our endeared (NOT!) governor, Kathleen Blanco, FEMA, and even the President. IMO, New Orleans' problem is a combination of poor government and people without the means (financial or otherwise) to help themselves. It's sad, really. :(

And I'm like the rest of you - I have no idea how Nagin won this mayoral election. I didn't vote because I'm not a resident of the City of New Orleans, but everyone I knew who was a resident wasn't voting for him.

• Members

Ok,

I live in GRETNA, Louisiana, on the Westbank of the Mississippi River (about 5-10 mins from New Orleans).

We were ALL talking about this today and EVERYONE is pissed.

And everyone I knew voted for Landrieu, not Nagin. The people who voted for Nagin are, well, you gotta live down here to understand because I might offend some people. But basically the people who voted for him were mostly 9th Ward people, those on Welfare, those who never evacuate (Superdome people), etc etc

There are still a LOT of problems down here. But the news gives everyone only bits and pieces, only there persepective. Where I live (the Westbank) was not damaged that much by Katrina. We are separated by the Mississippi River. I'm on the west side, New Orleans is on the east side. The Eastbank got the most damage (New Orleans, 9th Ward, St. Bernard) And I just don't think everyone else understands the devastation... Basically, you have to see it yourself to understand, NOT through the TV. Not until you take the "Katrina tour"....

As for Nagin, I wanted Landrieu...

Archived