Apple Boot Camp Question

leevo64

• Members

I am seriously considering buying a new MacBook in the fall when school starts, but I have some reservations because I am a gamer and none of my games are really Mac-compatible. Now I hear that there is some wizard called Boot Camp that allows you to safely install Windows XP onto the new Intel Macs. Has anyone used this, and if so would I be able to correctly and successfully install Windows-only software (namely games)?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to use PCs, but bought an iBook when I went to college, and it was the best decision I ever made. It was pretty easy adjusting to a Mac, and the thing never freezes up on me b/c they don't get viruses usually. Macs are a lot friendlier, and aside from a word processor, I think Macs are better than PCs. A lot of people w/ Macs can get Microsoft Word, but it costs almost $300 so I bought iWork instead for $50 and it's a good substitute.

Anyway, I'm not sure about games, but I do know that there are a lot of ways to get PC programs onto Macs. For instance, I use Flip4Mac, which I downloaded for free on the internet, that converts WMA files, that normally could only be opened using Windows Media Player, so that I can watch them on Quicktime. So I'm sure that the programs and/or downloads that convert PC games onto a Mac should be successful.

• Members

YW. Macs are a lot better. If you like making digital art, slideshows, DVDs, and stuff like that, they're amazing. iLife is really cool. I use iPhoto, iCal, and iDVD a lot. If you have an iPod, you can automatically upload stuff from iCal onto it, which is really cool.

AppleWorks comes w/ the computer, and it's just a standard word processer. iWork is really similar to Microsoft Word though. It comes w/ Pages, which is a WP and then Keynote which is like PowerPoint, but IMO it's a lot better. My only gripe w/ Pages is that it's spell check isn't as good as Windows'.

I would recommend buying stuff on the website. You can call Apple if you want, and you get a student discount. I bought my laptop and iPod and saved $100. And then I bought my mom's iPod and saved $30.

Archived