What is your favorite music collection that you own?

Max

• Members

Based on what is currently in my music collection, I would have to say that my most prized possession is "The Doo Wop Box" (released by Rhino Records). This collection is a tribute to the doo wop genre (which can best be described as the 1950's vocal group sound, in which the back-up singers would chant nonsense syllables such as "shoo-be-doo" or "doo-wop"), and contains 101 songs from the genre's heyday in the 50's and early-60's.

What makes the song selection wonderful is that the genre's biggest hits are mixed in with some wonderful obscurities (that I would have never heard were it not for this collection). Among the genre's most famous songs included here are "Sh-Boom" by the Chords, "Earth Angel" by the Penguins, "Only You" by the Platters, "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" by Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers, "In the Still of the Night" by the Five Satins, "Come Go with Me" by the Dell Vikings, "Book of Love" by the Monotones, "Tears on My Pillow" by Little Anothny & the Imperials, "16 Candles" by the Crests, "A Teenager in Love" by Dion & the Belmonts, "Stay" by Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs, and "Blue Moon" by the Marcels. However, obscurities like "The Closer You Are" by the Channels, "Desiree" by the Charts, "Imagination" by the Quotations, "Coney Island Baby" by the Excellents, and "Never Let You Go" by the Five Discs certainly deserved to have been major hits.

This collection sells for $70 (although Amazon offers it for quite a bit less). And, while that may seem expensive, the Doo Wop Box also comes with a huge booklet that gives a very detailed history of the genre (and, IMO, is itself worth the price of the collection). Even if you did not grow up with this music (for example, I was born well after these songs were popular), I recommend you buy this box set because doo wop is such feel good music.

Before I conclude, I'd like to mention that the Doo Wop Box (which was originally released in 1994) was so commercially successfully that it has sold over one million copies. In fact, this success has spawned two sequels: the Doo Wop Box II (which is still pretty good, although it contains a lot more obscurities) and the Doo Wop Box III (which I considered to be a real disappiontment).

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived