OLTL: Discussion for the week June 16-20

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And to further add to the euphoria, I just need to say that Carlivati has done what many writers haven't really been able to do... integrate new characters into a very tight Lord/Buchanan/Cramer canvas. Characters like Jared, Charlie, Gigi, and Langston have become FIRMLY embroiled in the drama and were so delicately woven into the canvas it's like they've been here for years (at least for me!)

Bringing new characters into a canvas is a very delicate operation, but it was done very well. And even better was the rare occurrence when the leading diva who has been in a storyline slump for years can be given a story in a town that isn't the setting of the show, with strangers, and it works to set up a rejuvenation for the character when she returns home. I think a good example of such a formula failing is Erica Kane behind bars on AMC, but Viki in Paris Texas did so many things for Viki and the show.

It got back to the heart of who Viki was. It established new regulars in Charlie and Gigi. It tied the new regulars to the existing canvas via Jared and Rex, establishing conflict for Jared's existing story, and a new love interest for Rex once his current one exited the canvas. Then Llanview stories infiltrated Paris (Marcie on the run, Asa's death/will reading) and was a catalyst to return the leading lady back to her home town and draw the new characters there as well. It's HARD to make a story fly when it's set outside of the established hometown of the soap, but Viki's was executed BRILLIANTLY.

• Members

I love them. Especially because it builds the suspense. Like, every time the second or two before it's about to cut to commercial, the little insignia of ABC or SoapNet fades then the screen goes black. Looking for this marker was delightfully frustrating particularly during the Adriana/Rex wedding and Dorian's takeover episodes because it seemed like every single scene ended in a cliffhanger LOL. So, I'd look down and either feel like my heart would stop because it'd go to commercial or ecstatic because it wouldn't.

Anyway, I love it. And the brief sound effect is also quite effective.

Archived