ATWT: VH & JS Interview

• Members

Interview with Van Hansis and Jake Silbermann

New interview from AfterElton.com with the actors who play the best soap opera couple ever.

As the World Turns’ Van Hansis and Jake Silbermann answer your questions

by Michael Jensen, Editor

November 14, 2007

Despite the fact it is 2007, same-sex couples on broadcast television are so unusual as to still be considered a Very Big Deal. But a gay male teen couple on a daytime soap? That constitutes an actual milestone in gay visibility.

Earlier this year, CBS’ As the World Turns made that breakthrough when Luke Snyder (Van Hansis) fell hard for newcomer Noah Mayer (Jake Silbermann). And viewers fell just as hard for the couple quickly naming them Nuke as their growing popularity helped to push the show’s ratings up. In fact, Nuke became so popular that a recent poll named them the most popular couple on ATWT and one of the seven hottest couples on all of daytime television.

AfterElton.com previously chatted with both Hansis and Silbermann in separate interviews, but our readers still wanted to know more about the men who play their favorite couple. So when we gave you the chance to submit your questions to the actors, hundreds of readers responded. We chose some of the best which the actors graciously agreed to answer despite their busy schedules. So without further ado, we present you with your interview of Van and Jake!

Gradgirl: Is there one scene that stands out for you, either in regards to the writing, how you acted, or the finished product? What about that scene was so special?

VAN HANSIS: Every now and then a scene comes along that is really strong and is really connected to what the character is going through. My favorite scenes tend to be the simple ones. Back in March or so, I had scenes with Holden where we were fixing a tractor and talking about loneliness. I really liked those scenes.

JAKE SILBERMANN: A scene that stands out to me is the one where Luke and Noah were caught kissing by Noah's father, Winston. It's always fun working with Daniel Hugh Kelley, especially in a scene like this one where he just flew off the handle.

b32guy: Van, how does a guy who grew up without a TV in the house end up pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts at Carnegie Mellon, and then get the desire to act either on screen or stage? What or who was your muse?

VH: I think growing up without a television forces children to be more creative in their everyday lives. You have to use your imagination for entertainment. I would make up different characters and stuff like that. My parents enrolled me in an acting class when I was little.

snicks: Do you guys prefer "NUKE" or "LOAH"?

VH: I guess Nuke.

JS: I prefer Loah. It's softer and sounds less like a cleaning product. But Nuke has grown on me.

bitchplease: If you had to change one thing about your own character, what would it be and why?

VH: His wardrobe. No, [i’m] kidding. I guess I would like him to be less gullible.

JS: It would be great if Noah became a little darker as a result of all that’s happened to him — maybe develops some addictions. Tortured characters are always fun — more so when they take out their frustrations on themselves

Uberaeryn: Do you read Luke and Noah fan fiction? Because I'm really kind of hoping you totally don't.

JS: Van told me about one. I don't think I'll be reading any.

TarquinV: Hi, Van. You've mentioned before that you've based the character of Luke partly on a friend of yours that is gay. Since playing the role, have you discussed it with any of your gay friends and was what they had to say positive in regards to the "realness" of the character? Did they offer any advice? Congratulations on such a superlative portrayal. Luke is genuinely loved!

VH: I didn't really base Luke on my friend. But after a few months of playing him, I realized, 'Oh, he's sort of like so-and-so.' They just had some similarities, that's all. I haven't really discussed Luke with my friends. My friends don't watch the soap for the most part. Great friends, huh???

LonePirate: How does the day unfold once you arrive at the studio? What all transpires during a typical work day?

VH: 6:45 AM-arrive at studio. 7 — start blocking, go to hair and makeup. 8:30 — start shooting. We shoot set by set. So, if Al’s Diner is up first and you only have scenes in Al’s Diner for that particular episode then you can be out of the studio by 9:30 AM. Those are awesome days. But if, during the course of one day your character goes from Al’s Diner, to Old Town, to the Snyder Kitchen, you have to stay pretty much all day and can clock in a good thirteen-hour workday. It depends on sets. Lots of naps are advised.

trascendenza: What’s the funniest practical joke pulled and/or anecdote from on-set? (Bonus if you're the one who pulled the joke :)

VH: I’ve never pulled a practical joke except on Alex Chando’s last day when I knew the camera wasn’t on me. I made faces at her to try and make her crack. She never did. She’s a pro.

trascendenza: What is your greatest dream as an actor, the role of a lifetime that you'd like to aspire to?

JS: My greatest aspiration as an actor is too keep pushing myself and to take on challenging roles that fool people. I'm so impressed with performances that make you say "Wow! That was him/her? I can't believe it."

trascendenza: Jake, you've mentioned that you "doodle". What sort of subject matters do you most often find yourself drawing, and do you know why those particular images stoke your creativity?

JS: When I doodle it's usually one of two things: I grew up in the city, so sometimes I doodle in graffiti style. Otherwise, as a comic book fan, I'll draw a superhero. Occasionally the art student in me will take over and I'll find myself doing a still life.

Marcella: What bands/albums are in heavy rotation on your Ipod these days?

VH: Great question. I love music. In my apartment, when I am home, music is always on. Always. So the bands/ singers that always have a home on my ipod are: The Decemberists, Dirtie Blonde/Amie Miriello, Feist, Modest Mouse, Antony and the Johnsons, Simon and Garfunkel, The National, Johnny Cash, Will Oldham, Loretta Lynn, Bjork, Radiohead, Peter Bjorn and John, David Bowie, Andrew Bird, Final Fantasy, Clap your Hands Say Yeah, Of Montreal, Lucinda Williams, Wilco, Bright Eyes, Regina Spektor, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sigur Ros, Scissor Sisters, Martha Wainwright…

I listen to them all. They are all genius. Right now on repeat is the soundtrack to the movie Across The Universe. It is fantastic. My favorite track is T.V Carpio’s version of ‘I want to hold your hand.’ It is so fantastic. Go to iTunes and buy it right now.

JS: I listen to everything from Nick Cave, who I recently discovered and who co-wrote the fantastic score to The Assassination of Jesse James to Feist, Aesop Rock, Of Montreal, Kanye West, Al Green, Depeche Mode and The Good, The Bad and The Queen. And of course, Stevie Wonder.

Insideguy: Thanks for being so available to answer a few question for your nearly rabid fans. LOL. Most actors bring some part of their real experience into the role they play. What do you find useful in your own lives in creating Luke and Noah?

VH: Luke is all about the need to be loved and accepted. I think that need is universal. Life is about acceptance from the people who you want to love you. If that means family, a wife, a husband, a girlfriend/boyfriend, a best friend, you just want people to love you for who you are. Anyone can relate to that.

JS: I don't bring any specific experiences to Noah. I think we can all relate to an unrequited love or a romance filled with obstacles. That’s really all this story is.

Roger Newcomb: Have you always wanted to be an actor? What are your long-term aspirations in the business?

JS: I want to have fun in this business and take interesting and provocative roles. I’ve asked some older, successful actors for advice and been told, "Take the work - as much as you can. The interesting roles don’t come until after 30.” Though, I think I've lucked out with Noah.

Lacon: ATWT executive producer Chris Goutman was correct in the WGN [radio] interview when he said that you were both very modest actors. Both of you have the ability to show the proper emotions in a very subtle and effective way (i.e. Luke's knowing smile and longing look at Noah, Noah's inner pain and fear of his father). Do the two of you rehearse together to decide which facial expressions you will use to convey these emotions in a given scene?

VH: No. We rehearse together to make sure we have the lines right. But it’s not usually about the acting, its just running lines. The acting comes when the cameras are on. We are comfortable with each other as actors, so if one of us does something new during taping the other just rolls with it and it usually creates some nice moments.

twins1729: Since couples in Oakdale tend to date, marry, have a family and divorce extremely fast, do you see Luke and Noah marrying anytime in the future? Maybe not as soon as the straight couples, but happening none-the-less!

VH: Why can’t people on soaps just date? Maybe like five years down the line they should have a kid, but not now. College has a whole slew of potential soap-worthy storylines. I think a lot of cool stories could come out of that.

JS: I have no idea what's in store for Luke and Noah, but I think we can assume it won’t be smooth sailing.

Roger Newcomb: What has been your family's reaction to your role of Luke on ATWT? Are they watching and enjoying as much as the fans?

VH: My parents are so proud of me it sort of embarrasses me. My mom cried on the red carpet at the Emmys this year when she was asked about how she felt for her son to be nominated. It was actually really nice. It’s great to see your parents so proud of your accomplishments. Both my parents now go through the soap magazines at the grocery store and point to pictures of me and tell the cashier “That’s my son!” They are generally busy during the day so I think they watch the show online. But they have always been my biggest fans and I couldn’t ask for anything more.

RJ: How far in advance do the writers and producers tell you about your storyline? Do they tell you specific details (while swearing you to secrecy) or just provide you with a general idea of the direction in which the story is heading?

VH: We have no idea what’s happening until we get the scripts, which happens about a week in advance. We can talk to the producers if we want. I have done that once or twice, but they keep the writers and actors pretty separate.

JS: We usually hear plot points about a month ahead of time, but not specifics.

marcella: How much of Noah's back story have you been told by the writers and/or producers, and how much have you created your own narrative? One thing I really appreciate about your portrayal of the character is that you have brought a depth and complexity to Noah that goes very far beyond the lines of dialogue that have been written for him. Specifically, have you thought about Noah's past experience with guys and whether or not Luke is his first?

JS: I have thought a lot about Noah's backstory. I try not to get too attached to any specific ideas, as the writers may suddenly bring in an element that contradicts with something I've created. I like to think that Noah kissed a boy when he was much younger but pushed that memory away to the point where he is hardly aware of it. Luke is really his first.

RJ: You seem to have become closer friends off the set of the show. Does that make the intimate scenes easier to do or more awkward?

VH: It makes them easier. Jake is a good friend. I know he’s got my back and is not going to make me look like an ass onscreen. I hope I return the favor. I think we work well together and I couldn’t have asked for a cooler person to play opposite. Jake is just very down to earth and funny and open to different ideas. It makes every scene very comfortable.

JS: I think we had become friends before the first kiss so not really. If anything, I think it makes it more comfortable.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why would somebody ask about marriage? 1, the characters can barely commit to exclusive dating. 2, soaps may embrace social issues, but they don't get political. Where would they get married anyway? Wherever it is, they might as well stay there, because it's a meaningless union in Illinois.

Archived