CBS Paramount reups 'CSI' czars

Sylph

• Members

CBS Paramount reups 'CSI' czars

Mendelsohn, Donahue to stay until 2010

By JOSEF ADALIAN

In separate eight-figure deals that will keep them in the ranks of TV's highest-paid showrunners, "CSI" exec producers Carol Mendelsohn and Ann Donahue have signed on to stay at CBS Paramount Network Television through spring 2010.

Pacts will give the scribe-producers a bump from their previous deals, which paid them north of $12 million over the course of four years. Mendelsohn remains showrunner on the original "CSI," while Donahue continues in charge of "CSI: Miami."

Deal also covers future development by Donahue or Mendelsohn, as well as their roles as exec producers on all three CBS Par/Jerry Bruckheimer Television-produced skeins, which collectively rate as TV's No. 1 drama franchise.

"CSI" creator Anthony Zuiker, who's showrunner on "CSI: NY," reupped with CBS Par at the end of 2005.

CBS Par Network TV prexy David Stapf said Donahue and Mendelsohn have been key to the success of the Eye's most important entertainment franchise.

"They're both fantastic writers and great showrunners, which is a rare combination to get," Stapf told Daily Variety, noting the ability to write well and to run a multimillion-dollar production don't always go hand-in-hand.

"They have different styles, but both of them engender a lot of loyalty from their crew and cast," he added.

Stapf also said "CSI" and "CSI: Miami" have remained strong creatively despite being in their seventh and fifth seasons, respectively. "They're as good or better now than they've ever been before," he said.

While Mendelsohn and Donahue would both fetch top dollar from other studios if they ever considered leaving, neither woman seemed inclined to make a change when it came time to hammer out a new deal with CBS Par.

"The beauty of 'CSI' is that it's feature television every week," Mendelsohn said of the skein. "We try to evolve the look of the show and the storytelling, so my creative juices are always flowing. I'm not lacking for challenges."

She also cited the family atmosphere surrounding the show and its production auspices as a reason to stay put, noting all parties "share this same passion for television and making shows." That sentiment was echoed by Donahue, who's been running "Miami" since the show began.

"I'm from a time when ballplayers stayed with a team their whole lives," Donahue said. "This is my home team. I'm happy here."

Donahue said her decision to stay in the Eye fold was cemented after a family member fell gravely ill last year and the conglom's exec team rallied around her.

"They were instrumental in cutting through a lot of red tape and making sure the family member came through," she said.

Donahue and Mendelsohn also praised Zuiker as well as Jerry Bruckheimer's company, citing both as factors in their decisions to reup.

Neither Donahue nor Mendelsohn have any current plans to develop programming, though both said they're open to the notion if the right idea comes along.

Both scribes are repped by Endeavor.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived