How much more can a little girl take.

• Members

This poor little girl. We all took her too our hearts 3 years ago when a car crashed into the child care centre that she was in. And on Friday she got hit by another car while being wheeled across the road in her pram.

0,1658,5149941,00.jpg

She won't give up: Sophie Delezio

and her mother, Carolyn, were all

smiles leaving hospital in 2004,

six months after Sophie suffered

horrific injuries in a freak car

accident. Two years on, Sophie

is again battling for her life.

Story

So much misery for little Sophie

By SANDRA LEE

07may06

SOPHIE Delezio's parents yesterday fought back tears as they told of their daughter's incredible strength and courage after suffering horrific injuries in her second car accident in two years.

Inside the intensive care unit at Sydney Children's Hospital, clutching a white teddy bear and Sophie's pink prayer bag, Ron Delezio and Carolyn Martin said their daughter was inspirational in her fight for life.

"She just inspires us all, she is such a tough little fighter," Mr Delezio told the Sunday Herald Sun.

"It's her character. She doesn't give up, she won't give up.

"It (the accident) just took us back to the first accident. It's very hard. She shouldn't have to go through all this pain again."

Despite her extensive injuries, doctors expected Sophie, 5, to make a full recovery.

Mr Delezio spent the first night at Sophie's bedside and Ms Martin read to her from the Little Bedside Book of Prayers - Whispers from Angels.

"It's just so hard. I am tired of trying to stay strong," Mr Delezio said, breaking into tears. "I wish I didn't have to feel strong – I feel like kicking down the door and doing all that sort of stuff. But I can't. I have to be strong for my kids and for my wife."

The family has placed a picture of Mother Mary MacKillop on Sophie's hospital bed.

"We believe Mary MacKillop caused a miracle with Sophie during the first accident (and) we believe Mary MacKillop will take care of Sophie again," Mr Delezio said.

Sophie suffered a broken jaw and shoulder bone, numerous rib fractures, two broken vertebrae, head bruising and bleeding around her left lung when a car ran into her as she was being pushed in a pram across a pedestrian crossing in the northern Sydney suburb of Seaforth at 4pm on Friday.

"She is a very sick girl," her mother said.

The couple were in a meeting in the city when they received the shocking news that Sophie had been critically hurt.

"I was just numb. But at least I'm breathing on my own this time, and walking on my own," Ms Martin said, referring to the first accident when a car crashed through Sophie's childcare centre in December 2003 seriously injuring Sophie and 20 other children.

"I feel sick in the stomach, but this time we can look at it rationally. We understand what the doctors are telling us.

"When your child is critically ill, you have to go through it one step at a time and process the information."

Yesterday, the hospital's assistant director of clinical operations, Dr Johnny Taitz, said Sophie was sedated and would remain on life-support equipment for three weeks. Her injuries would not require surgery.

Dr Taitz said: "She remains incredibly tough. She really is a fighter. Sophie is the sickest patient I have looked after. Everything she has done has proved the medical profession wrong."

Dr Taitz was the first medico to treat Sophie at the scene of the 2003 accident at Roundhouse Childcare Centre in Manly, where she sustained burns to more than 85 per cent of her body and lost her feet, some fingers and an ear.

Last year, she walked on prosthetic legs and she started school in January. Her incredible will to survive and brave, but painful, recovery – with her beautiful smile – captured the hearts of the nation.

Sophie's ordeal was so wrenching that middleweight boxer Danny Green asked her to carry out the Australian flag before his stepped into the ring to fight Anthony Mundine next week.

"Danny rang us and said Sophie had been a real inspiration for him and thousands of people and would she do us the honour of carrying the flag out," Mr Delezio said.

"He's a real gentleman. Obviously, it won't happen now."

An impromptu shrine has been set up at the entrance to the hospital where well-wishers can place candles and messages. Bikies have left a certificate saying, "Sophie Delezio, Bravest of the Brave Award".

Mr Delezio said the family had been overwhelmed by the support.

Despite his strength, the emotional father questioned the tragic twist of fate that led to the accident.

"I just cannot believe it's happened again," he said. "She will fight this, the same as she did in the first accident. I have no doubts about that.

"I just could not believe a serious accident could happen twice within a couple of years. She is just getting to a stage where she has been free of operations for a number of months and started school.

"I don't know whether it's bad luck or I have done something really bad in the past and it's catching up.

"I couldn't believe a family, or a little girl, could have so much bad luck. Why should my daughter go through so much pain again? Hasn't she gone through enough?"

He said Sophie's strength of character, which he attributed to her mother, led to her accomplishments.

"We keep on promoting the fact that Sophie is doing these great things because we want people to look at Sophie and say, `If she can do it, we can do it'," he said.

He also put her survival down to her medical care at the hospital, the NRMA CareFlight, the Red Cross and love of her friends and family.

Support for her can be logged at website www.dayofdifference.org.au

Or you can also leave a message here http://www.wishesforsophie.com/

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived