Two Australian miners close to rescue.

• Members

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12638826/

They expect the miners to be coming out sometime in the next 24 hours.

The miner's have said that they would like to walk out to their family's.

There are a lot of camera's there but they said that there is going to be a pool and only one still camera and one TV camera will be there to capture the moment.

Apparently when they do come out their fellow workers are going to form a guard of honour.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Update

It looks like it will be a bit longer before the miners will come out.

The final bit of rock that the rescuers have to go through by hand is proving to be tougher than they thought it would be.

They say that it is five times stronger than concrete. But they are getting there slowly but surely.

• Members

Story

They're free at last!

09may06

0,1658,5147612,00.jpg TRAPPED miners Todd Russell and Brant Webb have emerged from the Beaconsfield mine. They clocked out, then walked into the arms of their families to the cheers of waiting crowds.

Party begins in Beaconsfield

Rescue team in line for bravery awards

Info-Graphic The rescue mission

Webcam: live pictures

The pair walked out at 5.59am (AEST) after spending 14 days trapped underground.

Australian Workers Union national secretary Bill Shorten said: "Today we've had unbelievable news. After 14 nights at 4.47am, Brant Webb and 4.54am Todd Russell, were freed.

"This is an amazing day, the rescuers have done a fantastic job. The families have been fantastic. And clearly these two men have been outstanding Australians. It's a great day."

A bell at Beaconsfield's Uniting Church pealed in celebration as the news broke and residents started to make their way to the mine site.

After rescuers broke through the two miners were taken by 4WD up to the mine's "crib room", a room the size of a cafeteria, which is 700 metres below the ground.

There they were given a full medical check.

The drive up the "decline", the mine's access tunnel to the lift - still 375 metres below ground - was to take about another 35 minutes.

Once on the surface the men were to be taken in separate ambulances to Launceston General Hospital.

"They don't know how their bodies will react, basically, when they start moving," mine spokesman Michael Lester said.

AAP

Archived