My venture into the political arena...

Scotty

• Members

Finally got around to posting this (over a month after it happened, btw! lol). The article in from one of my local newspapers...

On December 20, 2005 I ventured into local politics, when I was appointed to fill a vacant seat on the 4-member commissioner panel in my hometowm of Clarkson, Kentucky. Not much goes on here in Clarkson, thank goodness. We are a one red light town with a population between 850-900.

toplogo.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gore joins C'son panel as Helm resigns post

The Clarkson City Commission Tuesday (Dec. 20) welcomed a new member after the resignation of Otley “Red” Helm, who forfeited his seat on the commission after he recently moved outside the city limits of Clarkson.

Replacing Helm on the commission will be Scotty Gore, 26, of Clarkson.

Gore is currently a student at Elizabethtown Community and Technical College and a substitute teacher in the Grayson County School system.

Mayor Bonnie Henderson honored Helm at Tuesday's meeting with a plaque and thanked him for his service, saying that he “has done an excellent job in his time as a commissioner.”

“He's done a lot for the city and he will be missed,” Henderson told those present at the meeting.

Helm said, however, that he would still be helping out the city in any way he can and “would still be volunteer his time for anything the city needs done.”

In addition to serving on the commission for the remainder of Helm's term, Gore will also take over Helm's former committee assignments of Fire Department, Streets and Sidewalks.

In other action, the commission:

€ Voted to keep Andy Cain as the city's fire chief.

€ Approved the purchase of a 5.75 cubic feet mini tailgate salt spreader for $1,985.

€ Held a drawing for a 90CC all-terrain vehicle--the winner was Clarkson Postmaster Kelly Overton.

The proceeds from the drawing will go to Clarkson's ball park.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks. I am the youngest on the panel. The three other commissioners, along with the mayor, are in their 40s and 50s. On a funny note, you have to be 25 in Kentucky to be a city commissioner. The day after I was sworn in, the city clerk called to make sure I was over 25. It would have been funny if I wasn't! But I beat it by one year though; I'm 26.

The commissioners serve two-year terms. The present commissioners entered office in January 1, 2005. I was appointed just before the mid point of the term, on Dec. 20, 2005. I am currently undecided, yet leaning toward, running for a full term in the November election. If I do decide to run, it will be my very first political campaign. If I run and get elected, who knows where I'll go from there.

Who knows, there may be a Gore in the White House yet! lol :D

Archived