The Supreme Court

bandbfan

• Members

I kind of alluded to this in the electoral analysis thread, but my own rambling got me thing about our highest court and just how much power they have, and how representative they are of the country. One big issue with this election is that our next president may be able to pick up to 2 or 3 of the next justices. My hypothetical is this. Let's say McCain wins and he puts 2 ultra-conservatives on the court to appease his base, and they want overturn Roe V Wade. My issue is this, what if the majority of people don't want that turned over? Should 6 or 7 people get to decide what is legal and illegal if 51% or more of the country feels differently? (Obviously this also gets into other issues, like if a majority wants drugs should we allow drugs, but in the abortion situation, we've been through both sides) I guess it kind of gets into the question of does the public really know what's good for it or not. Personally, I'm for the states making up their own mind. Like in the gay marriage situation. Why should the Supreme Court outlaw gay marriage if a majority in a certain state don't think it should be illegal?

(I'm not trying to get a debate started on abortion or gay marriage, just on how people feel about the SC)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this is a great topic. I keep in mind the Supreme Court when I vote. I know of a few cases brought before the Supreme Court that were passed but never put into practice. The Supreme Court can make a decision, but it can't enforce it. (Brown vs Board of Education was not enforced at first, nor was U.S. vs Nixon) The President and Congress have too. Who we the people can get impeached if need be.

I think the most important thing is to vote because the people that we vote for put people in these positions. The states do make a lot of decisions but a few times, it does go to the Federal Level

Archived