Fall 2006's New Shows Discussion

DaysnPassionsFan

• Members

KIDNAPPED (NBC) - B+

Wednesdays 10PM

I really enjoyed the pilot. This show wasn't on my list of "can't wait to see" pilots, but after watching it I was impressed. It has a very cinematic quality to it (NBC usually does, even with their downright awful dramas), and the acting is superb. Very exciting and definitely intriguing.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just watched the pilots for Desire and Fashion House on My TV, why I think I will commit sometime to Fashion House, Desire did nothing for me, I ended up ff through most of it ......

Desire is more trashy kind of show, and I don't think it belongs in the 8:00 it was almost like watching max after dark

Fashion house was actually pretty good, It was more real life...

• Members

Really?! Where did you see the pilots for DESIRE and FASHION HOUSE?!

I knew I would like FH more than DESIRE. It just looks like a better show, IMO. The only thing I hate about FH is that it is up against GREY'S ANATOMY on Thursday. Which means no one is gonna watch it but me.

• Members

THE BLACK DONNELLYS (NBC) - A-

As someone who passes on "The Sopranos" and doesn't see what the big deal is about "The Godfather," I have to say I think "The Black Donnellys" is one of the best new dramas this season. It has an excellent story, effortlessly balances light and very heavy, dramatic moments, and has a pretty solid cast. I can't wait until December/January when "ER" takes a backseat to make room for this. Honestly, I'd take "Black Donnellys" over ER anyday.

NBC is on a roll this season, for me, even though I'm probably not going to watch "Studio 60" religiously, its still well-written and has a powerhouse cast.

• Members

I have viewed Hidden Palms and Heroes. Hidden Palms is a really good teen drama. The guy, who played Zack from The O.C. is the standout character. The neighbors are also good additions. The lead is played well by the guy who played Psycho Oliver on The O.C. He really improved as an actor IMO. The CW should of had Hidden Palms in their fall lineup, instead of mid-season.

I also liked Heroes. I thought that I wouldn't like it that much but it was actually pretty good.

So far this is the order I'd rank the pilots that I've viewed.

1. Traveler

2. The Nine

3. Hidden Palms

4. Heroes

But all four of these shows are pretty good. Nice batch of shows.

• Administrator

Just finished watching it and ITA that NBC is on roll!!! I give this show an A+ for the writing, directing and acting. Like you said, the cast is solid. I really like the relationships between the four brothers. Loved ending with The Arcade Fire's "Rebellion (Lies)" playing in the background. I really had high hopes for this show since Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco are behind it and it didn't disappoint me.

I haven't seen 'Studio 60' yet :( but so far NBC is back with quality drama! Thank you, Kevin Reilly for picking these shows.

My ranking of the pilots so far:

Dramas

1. The Black Donnelly's

1. Friday Night Lights

1. Heroes

1. The Traveler

5. Hidden Palms

6. Kindapped

7. Secrets of a Small Town

8. Jericho

9. Runaway

10. Shark

Comedies

1. The Class

2. The Singles Table

3. Rules of Engagement

• Members

Here are my annual reviews:

Studio 60(B-): Great cast, but quite a disappointment. With the pedigree of the people behind the scenes (the creative genuis behind The West Wing and Sports Night, two of my all-time faves), I was expecting more. But I do see some potential in this show.

Traveler (A+): Utterly fantastic and exciting. Literally there has nothing on TV that has been this consistently exciting in a long while. The casting and the writing and the directing were all pitch perfect. I don't get why ABC is holding this until midseason.

Friday Night Lights (A): As everyone else is saying, this is just absolutely dramatic and wonderful and emotional. The fresh faces on the show deliver and deliver and my endless crush on Kyle Chandler continues. Love it.

Runaway (D-): Or as I like to call it, The Most Cliched Show in the History of the Universe. A family on the run! This is gonna be quality TV! Yeah, I'd rather watch Desire than this [!@#$%^&*].

Hidden Palms (F): Why, Kevin Williamson, why? You hooked me with Scream, chained me with Dawson's Creek, broke me with Wasteland, lost me with Glory Days, stalked and beat the [!@#$%^&*] out of me with Cursed, and now I'm filling charges for emotional distress. Oh, and battery.

• Members

I saw "Secrets of a Small Town" and wow... I don't know what it was, but it was just a wierd experience. I had no idea where the hell the show was going. I though it was going to be a "Providence" like show where the prodigal daughter returns home. Then we get this cloud of eerie mystery that engulfs the show. Then after that, it seems like we've descended into "Point Pleasant" or a bad "Dark Shadows" rip-off.

The unusual/trippy soundtrack doesn't help either... it was so out of place. Overall it was just wierd... that's the only word I could use to describe it.

It was a D for me.

• Members

Well, Toups, stupid me downloaded "Vanished" and forgot it debuts Monday, LOL.

That show was like watching a movie. It was SOOO great! Even though I must argue that the cast ensemble is too large, I guess I shouldn't really care. :P

Wow. The writing is top notch. So many twists and turns... WOW.

I LOVE this show. :)

• Administrator

It's an A for "Justice."

It looks like it's going to be a procedural show like most Jerry Bruckheimer shows. I could see CSI fans watching this show instead of 'Lost.' The show is very slick, style-ish, up tempo, and there's not one moment where the show is boring, IMO. Victor Garber is awesome as usual and it was great seeing Kerr Smith again who's really good in the pilot.

To me it was CSI (the high tech stuff) meets The Practice (gritty crimes).

If you're going to watch a new law show this season, watch this one, not Shark (soooo boring).

The only downside for me is that it's unserialized and I usually drop those shows if I have to. I prefer serialized shows.

My Updated List

Dramas

1. The Black Donnelly's

1. Friday Night Lights

1. Heroes

1. The Traveler

5. Justice

6. Hidden Palms

7. Kindapped

8. Secrets of a Small Town

9. Jericho

10. Runaway