Fall 2006's New Shows Discussion

DaysnPassionsFan

• Members

We're about a month and a half away from the new season, and the networks are ready to premiere their new shows. Inspired by Toups' posts in the "Aquaman" thread, let's discuss (and endorse/recommend ;) ) any pilots you may have already seen, as well as any buzz from the nation's critics about the new shows.

The pilots that are floating around the internet and available for anyone to see are:

ABC

The Nine

Secrets of a Small Town

The Traveler

CBS

The Class

Jericho

Shark

CW

Hidden Palms

NBC

Friday Night Lights

Heroes

I'll start. :)

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS NBC - A+

Tuesdays, 8PM

"Friday Night Lights" isn't a high concept thriller like "Lost" or "24" or a CBS procedural, but it packs just as much, if not more, emotional punch as the rest of the primetime dramas. The moments are very sincere. You don't have to enjoy football to enjoy the show, but if at the very least you like football, you will still be affected by the show; whether it be enjoying the scenes of the game, the practices, the teenage/high school drama, family life (both comedy and drama), and genuinely truthful and sincere moments.

If you were a fan of "American Dreams," "Friday Night Lights" definitely fills at least some of the void left by that great family drama. It doesn't have to shock and awe, it doesn't have to add some mystical supernatural element to it... "Friday Night Lights" just tells the story of a small town's football team, their families, and the standstill the town comes to every Friday for the game.

It sounds simple, yet it entertains and satisfies everything you could want in a primetime drama.

I love it :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

"The Traveler": A+

The first show I recommend is "The Traveler" which will air on ABC for its mid-season schedule. It's a thriller/ mystery that has you gripping from beginning to end. It stars Matt Bomer (ex-Ben Reade, Guiding Light), Logan Marshall-Green (ex-Trey Atwood, The OC), Steven Culp (ex-Rex Van De Kamp, Desperate Housewives), and William Sadler (ex-Sheriff Jim Valenti, Roswell).

It's too bad that this show will air mid-season. It should be airing in the fall because it's one of the best pilots I've seen so far for the upcoming season.

• Members

Like ABC Family did with "Kyle XY" last month, NBC will make the pilot episode of "Heroes" available on iTunes for FREE beginning September 1, weeks before its television premiere.

From The Futon Critic

I think it is definitely a good idea for networks to release the pilots earlier on, or at least give the chance for a wider range of people to sample the shows instead of a couple of focus/test groups.

I just watched it, so here's my take on

HEROES NBC

Mondays, 9PM/8c

One of the most talked about new shows of the season, "Heroes" in many ways lives up to the hype and in many ways doesn't. It doesn't live up to the hype in the sense that going into the pilot, you might expect some grand entrance. Since "Heroes" is being called NBC's answer to "Lost," I'll use that comparison. With "Lost," its grand statement was the spectacular plane crash scenes and subsequent chaos on the beach. With "Heroes," you get more, smaller moments that add up to the overall plot of the series, which is how it lives up to the hype.

The series is very character driven, we meet all these characters in the first hour (and there's still a 2nd hour that promises to intro a few more), yet the viewer doesn't feel overwhelmed. Each character has a distinct personality, and each one's "powers" definitely help out in that sense. It is not until towards the end of the first hour of the pilot that we learn of something bigger, something more than just a couple of "special" people learning of their abilities. Even then, the plot takes a backseat to the characters. The pilot moves a great pace, and at each turn there is a connection that ties everyone together.

Overall, "Heroes" is able to draw you in. It leaves you wanting a lot more, and not necessarily in a bad way.

My grade: A-

• Administrator

Just finished watching the pilot and ITA with everyone you said. I definitely got emotional towards the end.....my throat started to go very dry. I also have to mention the cute girls on this show, especially Minka Kelly. :wub:

This is another A+ show.

• Members

FOX TV Fall 2006 Weekday Lineup

Monday:

8:00 Prison Break

9:00 Vanished

Tuesday:

8:00 House

9:00 Standoff

Wednesday:

8:00 Bones

9:00 Justice

Thursday:

8:00 'Til Death

8:30 Happy Hour

9:00 The O.C.

Friday:

8:00 Nanny 911

9:00 Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy

Returning January 2007: 24

• Administrator

It was up, then it was taken down and now I can't find it anywhere. Hopefully it'll be up again. :(

NBC's Mid-Season show "The Single's Table" is now available. I hope it's good since I really like John Cho.

• Members

The CW network has revealed its premiere schedule for its inaugural season, and it looks like this (all times are ET):

Sept. 20, 8 pm: America's Next Top Model (EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!) :):)

Sept. 22, 8 pm: WWE Friday Night Smackdown!

Sept. 25, 8 pm: 7th Heaven, 9 pm: Runaway

Sept. 26, 8 pm: Gilmore Girls

Sept. 27, 9 pm: One Tree Hill

Sept. 28, 8 pm: Smallville, 9 pm: Supernatural

Oct. 1, 7 pm: Everybody Hates Chris (look for Whoopi Goldberg to guest on two episodes as a neighbor whose granddaughter Chris crushes on), 7:30 pm: All of Us, 8 pm: Girlfriends, 8:30 pm: The Game

Oct. 3, 9 pm: Veronica Mars (last but so far from least).

• Administrator

Every main character in the pilot is entertaining. My favorite so far is the Japanese guy. He and his friend were funny..... "Spock." :lol: But the most intriguing character was the mirror twin! What was up with that? I thought that was really interesting. The last 10 minutes had 3 shocking revelations! :o

Another great show for NBC!!

It was an A+ for me. :)

• Members

Quickly, I saw a lot of the others :lol:

JERICHO (CBS) - B+

It was very good, it lacked something, but overall it was enjoyable and the premise is still very exciting/interesting. There were a few very emotional/touching moments. It was enough to hold my attention though.

TRAVELER (ABC) - A-

Amazingly exciting thrill ride. It was definitely full nonstop action, edge of your seat. It should definitely be on this Fall, but hopefully it will build up some good buzz for midseason.

RUNAWAY (CW) - D

Bored the hell out of me. Especially after watching "The Traveler," it was definitely something the former WB would come up with. It was like a mix of "7th Heaven" and "24"/"Prison Break" minus anything enjoyable.

THE SINGLES TABLE (NBC) - B

Judging by the pilot, John Cho is poised to be the star of the show. It has its funny moments, but there are also some that fall flat. It has potential, becuase the pilot is definitely like a prologue to a novel, one can't really see where everything is going until after seeing more than the 2nd episode.

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP (NBC) - B-/C+

Everyone will probably love it, but for me I had to force myself through the entire episode. It was slow, couldn't hold my interest. I think it would work better as a comedy... so I'm anticipating "30 Rock" and hope it'll be better

THE NINE (ABC) - B

It has an interesting premise, but the execution left me wanting a lot more to draw me in. I enjoyed the pilot, but have no intention of wanting to keep up with the show for any subsequent episodes.

Archived