Saturday Night Live actresses call it quits

R!ck

• Members

Fey Says Good Night to 'SNL'

Long-time writer, performer leaving to focus on new show

July 22 2006

Tina FeyTina Fey is writing for and starring in a new prime-time series on NBC this fall, so she's leaving the other show for which she writes and performs.

Fey told Jay Leno on Friday's "Tonight Show" that she'll be stepping down from "Saturday Night Live," where she's spent nine seasons, to focus on "30 Rock," an NBC comedy that will air on Wednesday nights in the fall.

"I'm not going to do 'Saturday Night Live' any more. I wish I could," she told Leno. "I wanted to stop doing 'Saturday Night Live' so I could spend more time with Star Jones."

Lorne Michaels, who produces both "SNL" and "30 Rock," says he's sorry to lose Fey from the former, but "it was time for Tina to do her own show now," he told reporters Saturday at the Television Critics Association press tour.

In "30 Rock," Fey stars as the head writer of a sketch-comedy series called "The Girlie Show" who butts heads with a new network executive played by Alec Baldwin. The show also features Rachel Dratch, who's also departing "SNL," and Tracy Morgan, a regular on the late-night institution from 1996-2003.

Fey also wrote the pilot for "30 Rock" and will serve as an executive producer.

Michaels says "Saturday Night Live" hasn't yet decided who will take Fey's spot on "Weekend Update," which she's co-anchored with Amy Poehler for the past two seasons. He says he'll do a series of tests with various cast members, both solo and in teams, before deciding who fronts the fake newscast.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I'm going to miss Tina on SNL. Loved her on 'Weekend Update.'

I'll definitely be adding '30 Rock' to my tv schedule.

I wonder who will replace her as co-HW of SNL; I know Seth Myers was promoted to co-HW last season, so they might just keep him and the other HW (I forget his name). I hope the 'Lonely Island' boys (Akiva Schaffer, Andy Samberg and Jorma Taccone) will have the chance to write more material for SNL. They were the ones behind the hilarious "Digital Short" segments.

I think Seth Myers would be a good replacement on 'Weekend Update' and would work well with Amy.

• Administrator

LOL Those skits were funny.

Yeah, he was promoted to co-HW last season.

Only the first one was good.

The SNL cast is going to very small this season. I heard Finesse Mitchell and Haratio Sanz might be cut also.

DAYS and PSNS aren't the only NBC shows to make cuts due to budget reasons. LOL

• Members

I was so hoping it wasnt Maya Rudolph or Amy Poehler. I dont think Tina will be a big loss although I love her and she made Weekend Update. I will however miss Rachel as she has been one of the more funnier comedians on the show. I sure hope the new cast members are funny

• Members

You don't know Rachel Dratch?

:blink:

:blink:

Um..

Debbie Downer? The woman with no gay-dar? Sheldon from that high school news program? Angelina Jolie and her brother's deformed baby? The woman who, just appearing on screen, no matter what she's doing, makes a person laugh so hard they wet themselves?

That Rachel Dratch.

Um, that old movie producer who puts out crappy movies? The girl who plays male roles REALLY well and hilarious to boot? An SNL LEGEND?!!!!

snl1.jpg

250px-Racheldratchdebbie.jpg

That Rachel Dratch.

Archived