MyNetworkTV's Upfront

dc11786

• Members

I love telenovelas. When I graduate from college, I'd love to be a writer for one. :lol: Too bad there's no MNTV affiliates here though. :(

I don't think most telenovelas will translate well into the US though. The basic telenovela storyline fits well w/ Latin American society, but not necessarily in the US. Telenovelas tend to have an undercurrent of the machismo and traditional values that are still present in much of LA society. We'll see how it goes though.

La Heredera is a good example of a typical telenovela, except that usually it's the man who's rich and the girl who's poor.

Telenovelas look kind of cheap because of their awful lighting. They must use the same type of lighting that American soaps use. But the sets are absolutely amazing. Most of them are in mansions, nice restaurants, and there's always a lot of actual outdoor scenes.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Meh. I get the same treatment when I download a european or australian soap. Which I can invest in. American soaps could do this if they wanted to, but they're cheap, and it shows, and it's why I think alot of mainstream viewers look upon them as crap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Two separate sources are saying that Morgan Fairchild, who appeared on a bunch of nighttime soaps as well as "Search for Tomorrow" and "The City", is appearing in "Secret Obsessions: Fashion House". A San Diego newspaper reporter stated that both Fairchild and Maria Conchita Alonso were set to appear in "Secret Obsessions: Fashion House". However, actor James Black is talking about the upcoming series with a reporter and also mentions Morgan Fairchild being attached to the project.

http://www.timesreporter.com/index.php?ID=55035&r=3

• Members

Morgan Fairchild's official website says she will be appearing in "Fashion House". An article for some overseas newspapers state that there will be a fight in the water fountain fight in the premier and Bo Derek is quoted as saying that there will be "a catfight to end all catfights". The article calls the show "Secret Passions", but the MyNetworkTV site is finally up and lists it as "Secret Obsessions". The site is very barebones but here is the link: http://www.mynetworktv.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hello everyone

I'm new here, my name's Gonzalo and I'm from argentina

I got here cuz i was looking for some info on "Watch over me" wich is an american version of an argentinean telenovela named "Resistiré" (I will resist).

Anyway I'dl like to tell that i found this novela and many new other from Argentina (and this is not because i'm from this country) are getting better and better than most of other latin soaps.

The main reason is that they are getting closer to the kind of storylines of action/drama primetime series with an european movie narration style

post prduction is even better now and fotography is wayy darker

anyway ithink that's the reason for the succes of watch over me here and other like a new one wich is now on air and in a future might find its american version, named Montecristo (Some modern version of the original book by Alejandro Dumas "the count of Montecristo) or "Los Simuladores" (sony has the rights for the american version, yet there are no news about it.

I know there's been some other series an soap from here on air in the us, but no news about their repercution.

Tumberos (about a guy who's betrayed and put in prison) is one and i'd love to know your opinion if you saw it.

• Members

Hi and welcome. The only thing I've been able to find about "Secret Obsessions: Watch Over Me" is that it was the third novela in the original syndicated "Desire" series and initially went by the name "Forever Julia" which I believe is the title that "Resistire" used in some foreign markets. When MyNetworkTV came about it was switched to the "Secret Obsessions" label. My understanding is that the story is being tweaked by the heads of FOX and then scripts are being adapted by translators. One of the adapters from "Fashion House", Richard Andreoli, posts occassionally about "Fashion House" in his blog so maybe other writers will too.

Very little of "Watch Over Me" has been filmed. I think some stuff was put together for the network presentation to advertisers in May, but I'm not sure if that was an actual pilot per se. One of the actors from "Fashion House", Tony Tripoli, has posted in an interview that the shows are taping out of order, taping by location rather than by episode.

There should be more news about "Watch Over Me" soon though. After "Fashion House" is finished filming, it started the second to last week in May, "Watch Over Me" is the next to be filmed. The executive producer was hoping to start taping by mid-summer I believe.

I know that USA Network is producing a 13-week novela, three times a week, half hour novela called "The Hamptons" based on the novel "The Count of Montecristo" and that may be the same novela but I'm not positive about that.

Unfortunately a lot of times the rights are bought for a project and nothing ever materializes. I know the American version of "Betty la Fea" was shelved several times in the USA.

Off topic, but there are previews up for both "Desire" and "Fashion House" on YouTube as well as the MyNetworkTV website.

Archived