Halloween: The Missing Years

Roman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This prequel will will be the story of serial killer Michael Myers when he was a young man, before he went into the sanitarium.

I know, I know. He was SIX YEARS OLD when he went into the nuthouse. This will stink.

• Members

Actually, the impression I'm getting is that it's the story of Michael when he was a young man before he *escaped* the sanitarium. The setting is Smith's Grove where the sanitarium was located. I think what this movie is supposed to do is show what happened between Judith's murder and his escape and return to Haddonfield in the 1st movie.

• Members

But if we still go by the movies, he didn't kill anyone there. He didn't start his killing spree until after he escaped.

BTW, thanks for clearing that up. Either way, imo, the story stinks. That is a HUGE continuity gap.

• Members

Ah, yes, but it would depend on how it was written. This could end up being more of a psychological thriller than the standard slasher flick. Was Michael the deranged monster when he went into the hospital or merely a tragically disturbed little boy? Might the entire movie play out inside Michael's mind as he grows to adulthood? IMO, it's an interesting concept and a gifted writer could take this vague premise and make it a compelling piece of film. Did something happen to Michael in the institution to completely push into pure evil? Many questions and angles this script could take.

• Members

I just read at Diabolical Dominion that the same guy who wrote the When A Stranger Calls remake did this one. I just don't know if people will spend money to see a Halloween movie starring the character of Michael Myers and it's a psychological thiller.

BTW, do you know you sounded like Yoda in that last sentence? :lol:

• Members

I think this is a crappy idea.

And without Donald Pleasance as Dr. Loomis and Jamie Lee Curtis, I don't think it's going to have the same impact.

Also, Halloween 6 established Michael as "Pure Evil," which physically can't be stopped.

This is like the new Friday the 13th prequel coming out this year where they're going back before Jason and his mama started cutting up camp counselors. Is this the new trend? Can A Nightmare on Elm Street: Freddy's Junior High Years be far behind?

• Members

"Also, Halloween 6 established Michael as "Pure Evil," which physically can't be stopped."

But Halloween 4-6 were pretty much thrown out with H20, so I don't think that really matters.

• Members

Yes. Druids. Lots of them. Doctors in a cult. Seriously. Druids. Halloween 6.

The story of Michael has been told through the movies.

Michael stayed still, frighteningly still, during his whole stay. Hence why they went to transfer him to min-security in Halloween. Loomis described it, and also described he could see what was coming when he looked into his eyes. "The blackest eyes"

• Members

I don't think that the screenwriter, Jake Wade Wall, will think to use the continuity established in ANY of the movies. Guarantee you that Dr. Loomis won't exist, Michael WILL have the Shatner mask and he'll do something like escape the institution and kill some kids hanging out around the sanitarium. It'll be that simple.

• Members

I remember watching a special about horror movies and John Carpenter was talking about the first two Halloween movies and those that followed (which he didn't have anything to do with, as he pointed out), and he said that when he did the first two, he wanted to give the illusion of the "boogyman" something that everyone seems to have a fear of....He said that the other Halloween movies went off of that concept and just focused on creating a knife wielding maniac that just sliced anyone up that got in his way. He said he was very glad at stopping with the two Halloween movies.

As for me, I stopped at the third one...I watched the other Halloween movies, but didn't find them at all scary, but I primary watched them because of Donald Pleasance.....

• Members

I respect Mr. Carpenter, but he doesn't seem to know his own movies.

1. Halloween 2 makes no mention of a boogyman

2. Michael Myers in Halloween slashed a dog, and 3 people who had nothing to do with Laurie Strode. And if you go simply by Halloween's continuity(she only became Michael's sister because they made a sequel), he had no reason to stalk Laurie - he could have drove right on by.

3. Halloween 2, which he wrote, had Michael kill a neighbour who had overheard another neighbour scream after Michael stole a knife from her kitchen. He then killed a whole hospital night shift for no reason when all he had to do was go to Laurie Strode's room and stab her while she was sedated.

so to say his movies never had Michael kill indiscriminantly is a flat out lie and he needs to go and watch the DVDs to refresh himself!

and Halloween 4 is quite universally recognized as being one of the best in the series. Halloween 2 is typically recognized as being mediocre. ( I still like it, but again ... his Halloween career was not unblemished)

• Members

I have always wondered this about Halloween 4 and then Halloween H20....In Halloween 4, they have Laurie Strode mentioned as dying in a car crash(?) and being adopted by the Lloyd family; however, in Halloween H20 Laurie Strode reappears but only has a son and there is no mention at all about her "daughter"...I sometimes just sit and wonder why when making the Halloween movies, why they didn't make some mention as to what happened to Laurie or why she faked her death; I may have missed it, but I don't recall ever seeing anything mentioned when Jamie Lee Curtis returned for the other two Halloween movies.

Archived