Security Updates

Errol

Effective Saturday, November 6, 2021, all currently registered members must login using the email address in which they registered with in order to post on the SON Community. This is to combat any security issues that may allow your account to become compromised in the event you've been using your Display name as your login method.

Additionally, we have enabled the option for two factor authentication which allows you to have a code sent to your mobile device when you change your password or login. This feature is optional and can be utilized via either the Google or Authy authenticator applications. To enable this optional feature for your account, go to Settings > Security and Privacy (you will be prompted for your password to re-authenticate it is you). Click Enable next to the authenticator app you would like to use and follow the instructions given to complete setup.

Update: If you do not know what email address you are using, you can check by going to your profile page (email address is under Contact Information and is only displayed to you and Admin) or by clicking on the "account settings" link in the drop down menu at the top right of the message board menu which displays your display name.

4 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

The ancient email account I originally used to create my account is long gone.

What do we do in that case?

Send me a PM with the email address you are using.

• Members
15 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

The ancient email account I originally used to create my account is long gone.

What do we do in that case?

Same...I couldn't even remember it..lol...had to find it in my settings.

• Members
1 minute ago, vetsoapfan said:

I don't even know how to find the security settings, LOL.

Thank heavens for Errol's assistance!

You click to the top right of your username. A drop down menu appears and you click on account and another menu appears and you click on account settings and all your information is there including your email.

6 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

You click to the top right of your username. A drop down menu appears and you click on account and another menu appears and you click on account settings and all your information is there including your email.

Sent you a PM. Please respond.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Ah, thank you. The top of my screen is basically blacked out, so I cannot actually SEE anything in the top, right-hand corner, but I was able to find the drop-down menu by hovering my mouse around that general area.

Thank you for helping a computer-illiterate SONer to navigate the sytem.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
1 minute ago, vetsoapfan said:

Ah, thank you. The top of my screen is basically blacked out, so I cannot actually SEE anything in the top, right-hand corner, but I was able to find the drop-down menu by hovering my mouse around that general area.

Thank you for helping a computer-illiterate SONer to navigate the sytem.

Please register in order to view this content

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

And yes the top of the screen is very dark and hard to see the drop down box.

• Members
4 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Well, @Errol has kindly updated my email address, and I'm sure he'll take care of yours as well, so...all's well that ends well.

• Members
Just now, vetsoapfan said:

Well, @Errol has kindly updated my email address, and I'm sure he'll take care of yours as well, so...all's well that ends well.

Yes, he fixed mine as well.

5 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Check your PM with instructions.

P.S. Thank you for the heads up about the dark colors for links. It's been updated to white text so it can be read better. Our apologies to any/all members who've had an issue with this.

• Members
1 minute ago, Soapsuds said:

Yes, he fixed mine as well.

Woohoo! 

1 minute ago, Errol said:

P.S. Thank you for the heads up about the dark colors for links. It's been updated to white text so it can be read better. Our apologies to any/all members who've had an issue with this.

Wow, all of a sudden, everything in the once-black bar at the top of the page is clearly visible.

You are on a roll today, Errol! 

1 minute ago, Vee said:

How long will it take to reactivate my account if I change the 15 year old email address? I don't need to but I'd like to.

@Vee,

Accounts should not be deactivated when making account/settings changes. Just confirm the new email address via the email message you will be sent after you make your change. If you have an issue with making changes and are still logged in, send me a PM directly. Worst case scenario, send an email to [email protected]