Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

JR Ewing and his copies

• Members

Bill Bell created his own JR Ewing with Victor Newman, billionaire businessman that owns and lives on a horse ranch and has a long-suffering younger wife. Y&R had wealthy businessmen before Victor (Phillip Chancellor II and Lance Prentiss) and Wisconsin has horse ranches, but Victor's introduction in February 1980 overlapped with Dallas at the height of it's popularity. In his early storylines, Victor was even dressed more in jeans, button down shirts, vests, cowboy hats than he was in suits.

In 1991, B&B introduced Texas oil millionaire Blake Hayes, former husband of Dr. Taylor Hayes. Bill Bell was a decade late to the party there.

• Members
33 minutes ago, kalbir said:

Bill Bell created his own JR Ewing with Victor Newman, billionaire businessman that owns and lives on a horse ranch and has a long-suffering younger wife. Y&R had wealthy businessmen before Victor (Phillip Chancellor II and Lance Prentiss) and Wisconsin has horse ranches, but Victor's introduction in February 1980 overlapped with Dallas at the height of it's popularity. In his early storylines, Victor was even dressed more in jeans, button down shirts, vests, cowboy hats than he was in suits.

In 1991, B&B introduced Texas oil millionaire Blake Hayes, former husband of Dr. Taylor Hayes. Bill Bell was a decade late to the party there.

Spot on about Victor

I never noticed the JR similarities because Victor became his own thing 

I always thought Terry Lester’s Jack Abbot had shades of JR 

• Members
2 hours ago, kalbir said:

You said it, that was Victor I thought about and lost

1 hour ago, Frank2803 said:

Spot on about Victor

I never noticed the JR similarities because Victor became his own thing 

I always thought Terry Lester’s Jack Abbot had shades of JR 

You're right I thought so too but I wasn't sure

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
15 hours ago, Frank2803 said:

Would you consider Greg Sumner the JR Ewing of Knots Landing?

I would say Abby was more of a JR, just with more of a  conscience. 

On 9/5/2021 at 4:26 PM, Frank2803 said:

Inspired by the Alexis and her copies thread

The Lewis family was inspired by the Ewing’s, and I assume Billy Lewis was the JR of the family 

The Lewises were an interesting hybrid because they were obviously Dallas-inspired yet due to the heavy involvement of Reva and her being involved with all three main Lewis Men, they also had much more of a florid, pulpy vibe. The Ewings were more of the "new South" compared to the Lewises.

Edited by DRW50

• Members
6 hours ago, DRW50 said:

I would say Abby was more of a JR, just with more of a  conscience. 

The Lewises were an interesting hybrid because they were obviously Dallas-inspired yet due to the heavy involvement of Reva and her being involved with all three main Lewis Men, they also had much more of a florid, pulpy vibe. The Ewings were more of the "new South" compared to the Lewises.

Interesting 

What do you think about the Buchanan family on OLTL and their Dallas influence?

I can see the comparisons between JR and Abby. They were both super smart and used sex as a weapon.

• Members
On 9/17/2021 at 7:21 PM, Frank2803 said:

Interesting 

What do you think about the Buchanan family on OLTL and their Dallas influence?

I can see the comparisons between JR and Abby. They were both super smart and used sex as a weapon.

I do think the Buchanans were heavily influenced by the Ewings, especially in the early days when they had their own imported entourage of lady loves and ranch hands. The biggest difference, and for me a very smart one, was that any tension between Clint and Bo was short-lived and they instead just had Asa meddling in their lives. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members
5 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

I do think the Buchanans were heavily influenced by the Ewings, especially in the early days when they had their own imported entourage of lady loves and ranch hands. The biggest difference, and for me a very smart one, was that any tension between Clint and Bo was short-lived and they instead just had Asa meddling in their lives. 

I agree it was a good move for Bo and Clint not to have a JR and Bobby type of relationship 

• 3 weeks later...