Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Y&R September 2021 Discussion Thread


Taoboi

Recommended Posts

  • Members
2 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

What's that word kids use nowadays? D**kmatized?

I personally don't mind Jack still deep down pining for Phyllis. It makes sense. Now, if he was a real person and a friend of mine I'd tell him to run away from this toxic person and relationship, partially because of what you said, but in the world of soaps much worse has been forgiven and forgotten.
There would be no way for me to pine for someone who cheated on me with Nick twice abd slept with my brother but hey Genoa City is a weird reality.

What would actually make this work for me more - both the weird flirtation with Sally and this declaration - was if they actually wrote a real deep storyline about Jack's loneliness. He is in his, hum, 60s. Forever a bachelor. His family is all over the world. Etc. It would be interesting to see a man who spent so much of his life chasing after a lot of things - pleasure in his youth, his father role model later on - reckon with the fact he hasn't really achieved much and is afraid to die on his own.
You know, psychological drama with characters layers.

As if they would.
 

That last paragraph is so good, that of course it’s not going to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members

It helps that Stafford and Bergman are good together.

Adam doesn’t need THREE women craving his crotch—Sally, Chelsea, Sharon. Meanwhile Nick is going around looking forlorn at Phyllis. It makes no sense. (I know Chadam seem to be on the outs, but still.)

Sally and Chloe could be decent friends, but I wish Sally had a real bestie. Like Theo could have been.

I’m glad Camryn Grimes finally has a story that allows her to act, I guess. 

 

Edited by Faulkner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, FrenchBug82 said:

if they actually wrote a real deep storyline about Jack's loneliness. He is in his, hum, 60s. Forever a bachelor. His family is all over the world. Etc. It would be interesting to see a man who spent so much of his life chasing after a lot of things - pleasure in his youth, his father role model later on - reckon with the fact he hasn't really achieved much and is afraid to die on his own.
You know, psychological drama with characters layers.

As if they would.
 

The current writers wouldn't be able to pull it off. Also the elements of Jack's character that we knew in the 1980s (playboy on the surface but was really a lost little boy with abandonment issues from his mother leaving the family that was always looking for his father's love and approval but messing up while doing so) were pretty much lost from the 1990s to now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

It helps that Stafford and Bergman are good together.

Adam doesn’t need THREE women craving his crotch—Sally, Chelsea, Sharon. Meanwhile Nick is going around looking forlorn at Phyllis. It makes no sense. (I know Chadam seem to be on the outs, but still.)

Sally and Chloe could be decent friends, but I wish Sally had a real bestie. Like Theo could have been.

I’m glad Camryn Grimes finally has a story that allows her to act, I guess. 

 

Not to mention Sally, Chelsea, and Chloe essentially the same archetype. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, ChantelOldYRFan said:

Bring back Sherry Shaticks full time as Ashley!!

No thanks. Not in this lifetime.

 

— Shouldn’t someone get Mariah’s ass to therapy STAT? If she can’t even stop calling that baby Bowie, she’s over the edge.

— They’re worried about dangerous Stitch? Is that why Abby went to the park with the baby BY HERSELF?

— I’m ok with marital trouble between Nick and Phyllis, but this ain’t it. The way these two are talking to each other doesn’t make sense. There’s nothing organic about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 9/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, kalbir said:

The current writers wouldn't be able to pull it off. Also the elements of Jack's character that we knew in the 1980s (playboy on the surface but was really a lost little boy with abandonment issues from his mother leaving the family that was always looking for his father's love and approval but messing up while doing so) were pretty much lost from the 1990s to now.

In addition to this, those characteristics were essentially played by an entirely different actor, Terry Lester.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
8 hours ago, Faulkner said:

Man, all of these shows are particularly rough these days.

Haha let’s not even start with B&B lol.

The really tragic thing about Y&R is all it would take is one semi-decent writer to at make the show worthwhile. I know AW, GL, ATWT had it rough there final years as they imploded and inspired indignation, but what’s happening at Y&R at the moment feels far worse tbh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 hours ago, kalbir said:

At this point, I say Y&R should plan the end to coincide with the 50th anniversary. As March 26, 2023 is a Sunday, the 50th anniversary week episodes will be March 27-31, 2023.

So you’re calling for the #1 rated soap — by large numbers — to shut down first? 
 

I have problems with the writing on Y&R, too, but it is not getting cancelled before these other soaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

So you’re calling for the #1 rated soap — by large numbers — to shut down first? 
 

I have problems with the writing on Y&R, too, but it is not getting cancelled before these other soaps.

And I would hope that more generally we would have learned not to root for the end of ANY soap.
All soaps we have lost have been a tragedy, even when they were not in a good place creatively.
We have four left; when things are going array, we should be rooting for them to get better and use their potential to the full, not cheer on the potential death of a genre that, I would assume since we are on this forum, we care about and love.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Community Activity

    1. 10,502

      The Tennis Thread

    2. 2,875

      Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

    3. 10,502

      The Tennis Thread

    4. 10,502

      The Tennis Thread

    5. 1

      Ina Hopkins' Boarding House - OLTL

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy