Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Legendary Sitcom Star Joins DAYS and Reunites With Former Co-Star


Recommended Posts

  • Members
11 hours ago, j swift said:

The irony here is that there is a never verified story that Marla had a clause in her 227 contract that if Jackee got a spin-off then she could never return to the main show.  While on The Jefferson's, Marla's character got a spin-off that quickly failed and she felt lucky to be able to return to the main show.  However, once she was the lead on 227, legend has it, that she resented the attention that Jackee received, so she put the clause in place.  Jackee was given a spin-off, it failed, and she never returned to 227.  So, the fact that she was hired on Days using Jackee's proverbial coattails is ironic.

That can't be true because Jackee recurred on the final season, after the spin-off wasn't picked up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
On 7/22/2021 at 7:47 AM, Faulkner said:

Didn’t she just pass out while getting her star on the Walk of Fame? I think she needs to get somewhere and sit down.

No. Marla did *not* pass out while getting her star on the Walk of Fame.  The ceremony had been going for an hour, and then she seemed a bit lightheaded for a moment while giving her speech, so they paused the ceremony.

Some reporters hastily incorrectly reported that she fainted or was about to faint

It turns out that she simply got overheated but was not about to faint.  Twenty minutes later, she  was sitting down and completing the ceremony where the honoree is photographed at their star.  A spokesperson told EW that Marla had a good time at the afterparty.

-----------

Here's the ceremony on the Walk of Fame youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwbUYggaBhE

The first half hour of the youtube is blank (just a photo with no audio) , waiting for the ceremony to begin. It starts around 30 minutes into the vid.

At about 1 hour and 27 minutes, you can see Marla pause in her speech, and they ask if she's okay and she says she is. They help her off the stage. Then there is a few minutes of random people milling about.

Then the video goes blank again (just a photo with no audio) for another 20 minutes or so.
Finally at 1:19:45, the ceremony resumes with Marla getting photographed by her star.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
19 hours ago, Chris B said:

That can't be true because Jackee recurred on the final season, after the spin-off wasn't picked up.

Its not true. She did a handful of 227 episodes in its final season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 11:53 PM, j swift said:

The irony here is that there is a never verified story that Marla had a clause in her 227 contract that if Jackee got a spin-off then she could never return to the main show.  While on The Jefferson's, Marla's character got a spin-off that quickly failed and she felt lucky to be able to return to the main show.  However, once she was the lead on 227, legend has it, that she resented the attention that Jackee received, so she put the clause in place.  Jackee was given a spin-off, it failed, and she never returned to 227.  So, the fact that she was hired on Days using Jackee's proverbial coattails is ironic.

This sounds like someone got it mixed up with the rumor about what happened behind the scenes of Alice with Linda Lavin / Polly Holliday; Polly Holliday got more popular than Linda as her side character Flo, got a spin-off that failed and never returned. Rumor was that Linda Lavin blocked her from returning. I wouldn't be surprised if there's similar rumors every time a popular side character outshines the supposed lead and gets a spin-off that fails. 

Edited by te.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Reportedly MG resented Jackee for stealing the spotlight, similarly to the Linda Lavin/Polly Holliday situation.  Hopefully these two have put away any grudges or resentments past them by now like Cindy Williams/Penny Marshall or Suzanne Sommers/Joyce deWitt eventually did after many years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
27 minutes ago, Spoon said:

Reportedly MG resented Jackee for stealing the spotlight, similarly to the Linda Lavin/Polly Holliday situation.  Hopefully these two have put away any grudges or resentments past them by now like Cindy Williams/Penny Marshall or Suzanne Sommers/Joyce deWitt eventually did after many years.

The same with her and Isabel Sanford. Isabel thought she was the diva of the show only to be upstaged by Marla. I believe it was Belinda Tolbert that mentioned it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 81

      Dancing with the Stars: Discussion Thread

    2. 65

      Netflix: The Crown

    3. 28

      Fall Preview (9/20/21) – Days of Our Lives

    4. 65

      Netflix: The Crown

    5. 291

      Days of Our Lives: September 2021 Discussion Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy