Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Y&R July 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members
3 hours ago, Faulkner said:

Yeah, if this was part of a greater story (like Phyllis falling for Jack again and Sally is the obstacle—everything is in place to tell that story), it would be fine. Right now, I feel like they are hedging their bets on pretty much every story.

Exactly!!! I thought Summer was gone but she's been appearing in that same hotel room in Milan. If anything they could've had Summer/Kyle working together to take Sally/Tara down. Then they can ride off in the sunset to Milan or Los Angeles. I also have a feeling that Tara/Ashland playing them and that Ashland is really Harrison's father. And this is some ploy to get back at the Newman's.  But we can't have nice things on this show. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
22 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

No. It is not her fault. We were reflecting on how weird it is for the show to have made those moves and not use her.

As for the current SL, I am not questioning why Phyllis would be pissed at these two for being manipulative. That's fine. It is not absurd and I kind of agree Phyllis on the warpath have some entertainment value. But it is hard for me to drudge much emotion over "OMG These bitches got my daughter her dream job in Europe! Oh the humanity!".

Summer is the one who ended her pending marriage. Which is not to say Tara and Sally did not connive and should not be criticized obviously - they did and they should - but when it came down to it Summer made that completely unnecessary call. There was NO reason for her to walk away. I am no Summer fan but she could have wiped the floor with Tara if she had wanted. She gave up - which is bad writing but now that's what occurred on-screen so it is canon.
And Summer looked at the job and wanted it. Again, the fact those who offered it to her had their own agenda is irrelevant to the fact that Summer looked at the situation and thought that was the best thing for her. They didn't force her. Phyllis has her own selfish agenda in not wanting her to take it too after all so it works both ways
In the end if Summer herself thought breaking off with Kyle and taking the job was a better path for her future than staying in GC, why should I be upset?
Sorry, it is not high-stakes. 
Summer sleeping with Billy was high-stakes. Phyllis being raped was high-stakes. Those were situations where people suffered because of actions by others. 
Here Summer is not suffering; she is thriving. And it was her own choice.

It is a criticism of the writing btw, not of Phyllis. Phyllis' reaction is reasonable enough in the situation but from the beginning of the Phyllis vs Sally story they have been stretching to find a good reason for them to feud and I have yet to see something that has me emotionally invested one way or another.

Well, the writing is bad, but much of it is forced because of Hunter King’s contract situation. We’ll never know how this story would have played if SONY/CBS weren’t so cheap.

19 hours ago, Chatty Cakes said:

The problem is Phyllis used to fight for stuff that mattered a bit more. Like her granddaughter Baby Lucy who had been sold into an illegal adoption. 
Now she’s stealing phones to get to the bottom of her daughter taking a great job that’s probably a dream job for Summer. Her real problem is that her daughters a wimp who couldn’t stand up to Tara or even tell her mom that Tara had threatened to take Harrison away from Kyle. Is it worth getting to the bottom of? Sure. Is it worth numerous scenes, drawing Billy into it and acting like the world has ended? No.

Again, all of Summer’s moves can be attributed to writers faced with an actress’s contract expiring and not being renewed. I’m not excusing or defending the writing, because I don’t like it either. It makes Summer’s choices ridiculous. 

11 hours ago, Forever8 said:

I also have a feeling that Tara/Ashland playing them and that Ashland is really Harrison's father. And this is some ploy to get back at the Newman's.  

I don’t get why some people say that Tara and Ashland might be working together. We’ve seen them arguing — alone— with no one else around.it would make no sense to now decide they’re working together.

• Members
1 hour ago, ranger1rg said:

Again, all of Summer’s moves can be attributed to writers faced with an actress’s contract expiring and not being renewed. I’m not excusing or defending the writing, because I don’t like it either. It makes Summer’s choices ridiculous. 

Wouldn't TPTB have some inkling that a young actress who has already left once might do so again and have Plan B ready to go?

Having Summer scurry off to Italy w/o revealing what threats Tara had made didn't ring true. Had Tara been a little more ambiguous about not letting Kyle have access it would have played better.

Summer used to be out for herself so her deciding that she didn't sign up for this drama and wasn't ready to play stepmommy as well as having a great job waiting for her should have been enough to write her off.

How many more times is Imani going to slither up to Nate with Elena giving her the side eye before we move to the next beat?

BTW Sean Dominic is the hottest guy on the show and needs more airtime.!!

• Members
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Summer used to be out for herself so her deciding that she didn't sign up for this drama and wasn't ready to play stepmommy as well as having a great job waiting for her should have been enough to write her off.

100%. Would have changed almost nothing as to the events on-screen and would have made a lot more sense for the character.

Not to mention we are still seeing her in Milan so that is not her exit yet as far as I can tell. AND that the Tara storyline predates the breakdown in contract negotiations so the way she was written in this mess would have been written regardless. The Italy thing started very shortly before it happened and was clearly tacked on but the gist of the story around Harrison WAS the plan.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members
9 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

I don’t get why some people say that Tara and Ashland might be working together. We’ve seen them arguing — alone— with no one else around.it would make no sense to now decide they’re working together.

I think people want this show to be much more interesting than what we’re seeing.

This show really hits emotional beats like Saved By the Bell. That whole Sally/Jack scene played out so corny.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I think people want this show to be much more interesting than what we’re seeing.

This show really hits emotional beats like Saved By the Bell. That whole Sally/Jack scene played out so corny.

That's an insult... To Saved By The Bell. 

• Members
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

LOL! It just all seems like goofy hijinks to me. Nothing feels like it has any weight to it.

Exactly!!! As I said on Twitter earlier. Phyllis, it's not like Sally/Tara conspired to get Summer behind bars making license plates for murdering "Ashland." Too bad that didn't happen because that would be a good story. 

Edited by Forever8

• Members
1 hour ago, Forever8 said:

Exactly!!! As I said on Twitter earlier. Phyllis, it's not like Sally/Tara conspired to get Summer behind bars making license plates for murdering "Ashland." Too bad that didn't happen because that would be a good story. 

Heck, it is not like they conspired to give her her dream job as a war correspondant in Afghanistan.

It is a fashion job in Italy! My heart is breaking for Summer, really. 

• Members

Problem is with Kyle and Bummer already leaving and out the door it’s hard to care and even watch this story, because once it ends there is nothing, absolutely nothing Phyllis and Sally unless they have Sally open up her own hotel or some [!@#$%^&*] like that . 

My guess is Courtney Hope will be out next. Too bad Stafford isn’t let go too because she is horrible. Such a pointless character Phyllis has become since her return, doing nothing but wear one shoulder cocktail dresses as she day drinks with orange  stains on her skin from her spray on tan

• Members
34 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

My guess is Courtney Hope will be out next.

I hope not because I like CH very much and I still see the potential but man they really don't know what to do with her either.
I think this can be fixed by settling on a characterization for her: she can either be an ambitious gold-digger which is fine: with good writing, we can even sympathize with her if done right. Or she is genuinely a nice girl trying to do her best to survive. But the ambiguity and constant vacillation between the two is completely hurting our interest and attention span.

I still think it would have been smarter to send her in Nick's orbit. The age difference would have been less jarring, Nick WOULD be stupid enough to fall for a gold-digger (while it is harder to swallow with Jack) AND there would be a fun subtext to play with her being a "younger Phyllis" (show Nick and Phyllis having problems and then her calling him out on dating a discounted younger version of her) AND the conflict with Phyllis and Summer would then write itself.

• Members
22 hours ago, Faulkner said:

They’re writing Sally as such a twit. Phyllis would obviously make mincemeat out of this character.

That’s because Stafford’s Phyllis has become a major twit herself. Seriously is another crossover story coming with Phyllis meeting Eric? Ugh.