Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Y&R July 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members
On 7/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, DaytimeFan said:

I've watched a few episodes of Y&R this week after seeing some scenes from 1999...

Good lord this show is dead. Nothing happens and there is no character motivation in anything. No intensity, no energy, 90% wide shots and few closeups, and most glaringly of all: no music. 

This show is so incredibly lifeless. Comparing episodes from 1998/99/00 to now are just shocking. 

The irony is that the episodes that are 20+ years old seem far more modern and like prime time television than what's airing now which resembles ATWT in the 60s. 

None of GH, B&B or DAYS are this dull - I've seen them all this week and Y&R stands out in how boring it is by a country mile. 

Y&R often looks and feels cheaper than all the other series, including the notoriously low-budget DAYS, which seems to make much better use of its limitations.

The dip in production values over even the past couple of years has been stunning, even pre-COVID.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Faulkner said:

Y&R often looks and feels cheaper than all the other series, including the notoriously low-budget DAYS, which seems to make much better use of its limitations.

The dip in production values over even the past couple of years has been stunning, even pre-COVID.

One big issue I’m noticing is that so many of the new Y&R sets (Grand Phoenix, Society, ChanceComm) do not have a single window in them so they look like fake, closet like spaces.

And then we have sets like the Chancellor mansion where they’ve got the cheapest looking couch on earth.  

Throw in a lack of any musical score for scenes at a time and the whole thing is a visual mess. 

Edited by DaytimeFan

• Members
Posted (edited)

It’s a total lack of imagination and competence. Morina and Griffith are content with just coasting and collecting a paycheck, they know they can now get away with putting absolutely no effort into anything.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Faulkner said:

You barely noticed? It has looked like garbage for a long time. It matches the storytelling.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:57 PM, DaytimeFan said:

I've watched a few episodes of Y&R this week after seeing some scenes from 1999...

Good lord this show is dead. Nothing happens and there is no character motivation in anything. No intensity, no energy, 90% wide shots and few closeups, and most glaringly of all: no music. 

This show is so incredibly lifeless. Comparing episodes from 1998/99/00 to now are just shocking. 

The irony is that the episodes that are 20+ years old seem far more modern and like prime time television than what's airing now which resembles ATWT in the 60s. 

None of GH, B&B or DAYS are this dull - I've seen them all this week and Y&R stands out in how boring it is by a country mile. 

We have a winner here!  Johnny tell DaytimeFan what he's won!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

What incentives exist for Y&R to fix anything that’s wrong with the show right now? Ratings don’t appear to be cratering (and CBS didn’t seem alarmed when they were). 

I think a lot of people (viewers included) are content for Y&R to simply be ambient TV. Background noise while you do other things.

Or perhaps there’s a silent majority of viewers who are actively enjoying the show. Certainly the very online are not happy.

• Members
Just now, Chatty Cakes said:

I wish the Abbott’s were doing a pool party for the 4th. Those used to be enjoyable. 

Do they even have that set anymore? So many sets have come and gone on this show…

• Members
18 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

It’s a total lack of imagination and competence. Morina and Griffith are content with just coasting and collecting a paycheck, they know they can now get away with putting absolutely no effort into anything.

BOTH should be fired ASAP.   

3 minutes ago, Chatty Cakes said:

I wish the Abbott’s were doing a pool party for the 4th. Those used to be enjoyable. 

The last time that set was used was when Mia stabbed Lola, when the intended victim was Abby.   Lola fell in the cold water since it was winter.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Do they even have that set anymore? So many sets have come and gone on this show…

And I don't think they have the budget just to get a lot of the cast for a large group scene that is more set-up than plot anymore.

• Members
6 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

And I don't think they have the budget just to get a lot of the cast for a large group scene that is more set-up than plot anymore.

One might think Griffith and Morina exist solely to keep costs low… making a compelling or even mildly diverting show is way down the list of priorities…

• Members
1 minute ago, Faulkner said:

Probably not.  The last time I remember the pool mentioned was when Mia pushed Lola in. They used that rooftop bar for summer scenes but they haven’t even used that in awhile.

• Members
1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

One might think Griffith and Morina exist solely to keep costs low… making a compelling or even mildly diverting show is way down the list of priorities…

To be entirely fair, they can't make it happen if they don't have the money.

I agree with other commenters that they could use the money they have better - other shows do with similarly meager budgets - but having to forgo some "nice to have" scenes like big cast-gathering party scenes because of money can't be laid down at their feet as if it is their choice.

• Members
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

To be entirely fair, they can't make it happen if they don't have the money.

I agree with other commenters that they could use the money they have better - other shows do with similarly meager budgets - but having to forgo some "nice to have" scenes like big cast-gathering party scenes because of money can't be laid down at their feet as if it is their choice.

I don’t think what you’re saying is at odds with what I’ve stated. Of course, they have a budget. But storytelling isn’t the priority for them. Other shows manage to do both a little better.

The show *feels* like they’ve been told, we don’t care if there’s anything happening on screen. Are you under budget? Yes? Approved!

Edited by Faulkner

• Members
1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

The show *feels* like they’ve been told, we don’t care if there’s anything happening on screen. Are you under budget? Yes? Approved!

Absolutely, and that's understandable, but what is disappointing is the writers don't take that carte blanche and craft interesting dialogue. You can make a good show with just people sitting around talking, like InTreatment on HBO (haven't seen the new version but the original was great).

• Members
On 7/4/2021 at 12:51 PM, Faulkner said:

It's dull in colouring. Am I the only one who notices what we see on TV vs. online or streaming is incredibly dull?

It's disappointing, because Y&R used to have one of my fave HD transfers of all daytime soaps.