Jump to content

Y&R May 2021 Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Faulkner said:

I’m probably alone, and JG is probably not the right writer for such a story, but I wanted Abby and Mariah to bond and slowly fall in love over the course of the surrogacy, with Nina and Tessa becoming aware of it over time. Then Chance returns to complicate matters. An old-fashioned juicy scandalous story with a modern twist.


Note: that proposed story would have worked better had Chance been the biological father instead of Devon.

100%

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Vee said:

I've been saying for years they need to fire Melissa Ordway but whenever I do people act like you shot the president. Her bloodline doesn't matter if the character is a worthless failure! Abby's been on for what, over a decade and there is nothing there. She needs to be gone for years.

I agree with you but getting rid of MO would probably spark some sort of fan backlash because she's been playing the role for so long. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Forever8 said:

 but I wanted Abby and Mariah to bond and slowly fall in love over the course of the surrogacy,

Not sure about this. 

Mariah has already become same sex attracted and now Abby?

 

On another note,Anthony Morina has slipt under the radar. Never gives interviews or statements. Leads me to believe that Sony/CBS are basically in control and Josh will write to their dictates.

Anthony is there purely to oversee production with little creative input.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

Not sure about this. 

Mariah has already become same sex attracted and now Abby?

That was me. I’m very pro-sexual fluidity, mind you, but I think it could an interesting story for a restless, searching character like Abby to explore different aspects of her sexuality over time. And who knows? She may realize later on that she prefers being in a heterosexual relationship and break Mariah’s heart in the end. It could also give Mariah misgivings for handing the child she’s carrying over to Abby and Chance. Mariah might have been seduced by the idea of Chance never returning, and she and Abby starting a family together, only to have that have that dreamed dashed by Chance’s unexpected return.
 

I’m not sure the show as currently written is the place for it, though.

Edited by Faulkner
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Faulkner said:

That was me. I’m very pro-sexual fluidity, mind you, but I think it could an interesting story for a restless, searching character like Abby to explore different aspects of her sexuality over time. And who knows? She may realize later on that she prefers being in a heterosexual relationship and break Mariah’s heart in the end. It could also give Mariah misgivings for handing the child she’s carrying over to Abby and Chance. Mariah might have been seduced by the idea of Chance never returning, and she and Abby starting a family together, only to have that have that dreamed dashed by Chance’s unexpected return.


I hear the story and I wouldn't be mad at it but I do agree that having another until-now-completely straight character "explore" would ring wrong. At least Mariah was fresh enough that we could believe it. There has never been any suggestion of anything for Abby so it would feel plot-driven.
I mean, I'd accept it if properly written but if they wanted to really explore bisexuality or hetero-flexibility, the seeds for Adam were already planted and they never did anything with it. He would be a better candidate once they realize what is interesting about the character is everything that they are pushing under the rug right now in efforts to sell the character as a romantic lead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I could see Abby being a new version of Mindy Lewis (Kimberly Simms). Involved with a married man, I even considered Cane at some point lol.

MO doesn't really feel like an Abbott or a Newman.  Perhaps a Grace Turner type? 

Another big problem for me is Kyle. He doesn't look like an Abbott to me. He could be Noah, but not Kyle. 

Watching KM play Amanda makes me understand how important MM's presence is. Watching Karla makes my ask myself: " Why should we care about this newcomer's drama?"

MM should be the star of the show. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Elsa said:

 

MM should be the star of the show. 

The show had a Jill like character in Hillary and they just ruined it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

There has never been any suggestion of anything for Abby so it would feel plot-driven.

I understand your POV, and it’s probably the POV of most people, which is why it would be risky. For me, it wouldn’t feel jarring that Abby hadn’t been shown feeling attraction to women previously. Sometimes people just spark with a certain person. And I think there would need to be some beats played to get there (which JG and team have never shown an interest in—see the rushed Sally/Jack pairing). I’m also thinking Mariah’s own journey (which ultimately resulted in a new sexual identity) might inform her initial reaction to Abby. Like, I’ve been there, girl. Don’t do this if you’re just lonely and dabbling and feeling like your previous relationships to men have failed.

Edited by Faulkner
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I always thought that Melissa Ordway was too old to play Abby.  Abby was technically born in November 2000.  Even with SORAS, it makes no sense to have a 38 year old portraying her.  That is an 18 year gap.  

Edited by Meredith
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Meredith said:

I always thought that Melissa Ordway was too old to play Abby.  Abby was technically born in November 2000.  Even with SORAS, it makes no sense to have a 38 year old portraying her.  That is an 18 year gap.  

 

And, yet, Emme Rylan was older.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liberty City said:

 

And, yet, Emme Rylan was older.

It’s insane that she’s gonna be 41 this year.


That little boy Harrison is adorable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Faulkner said:

It’s insane that she’s gonna be 41 this year.

 

It really is, isn't it? And she does not look it at all. Lucky lady!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Elsa said:

Years ago I could see Abby being a new version of Mindy Lewis (Kimberly Simms). Involved with a married man, I even considered Cane at some point lol.

MO doesn't really feel like an Abbott or a Newman.  Perhaps a Grace Turner type? 

Another big problem for me is Kyle. He doesn't look like an Abbott to me. He could be Noah, but not Kyle. 

Watching KM play Amanda makes me understand how important MM's presence is. Watching Karla makes my ask myself: " Why should we care about this newcomer's drama?"

MM should be the star of the show. 

I agree the current Kyle looks nothing like an Abbott to me, never has.

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO Michael Mealor vaguely works as Alex Donnelly’s son, so his Kyle doesn’t bother me lookswise. The problem for me is the mushy characterization. To start, the show wasn’t quite sure if they wanted him as a wild Lothario in a nod to Jack’s early days or a salt-of-the-earth romantic hero, and now he’s just bland.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 157

      DAYS: June 2021 Discussion Thread

    2. 451

      Shortland Street

    3. 451

      Shortland Street

    4. 50

      Bold and Beautiful June 2021 Discussion

    5. 157

      DAYS: June 2021 Discussion Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy