Jump to content

GH: ABC nixes character return (c/o Daytime Confidential)


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Errol said:

Let’s not forget that the people that had Frank’s back with GH got fired last year. Vicki and William led what was left of abc daytime and they were both let go during a reorganization of Disney’s TV properties. 
 

The new regime might be looking at what’s happening with MeToo, BLM and more and now want the show to represent something more than violence against women and bad people being glorified as superheroes. Maybe I’m just dreaming that is the case, but we shall see. 

 

These were my #1 suspicions, yes. Executive turnover and growing unease over the modern climate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Does it mean that since #GH doesnt want characters with Rape backgroundson the show (Todd Manning) we will never see Luke Spencer again?

Edited by John
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, maybe not. But Luke of Luke and Laura is not Todd the serial rapist from a different TV show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vee said:

Maybe, maybe not. But Luke of Luke and Laura is not Todd the serial rapist from a different TV show.

Right they made a deal to say we dont want Rapists tied to stories now so..... I think they would take Luke back and look hypocritical imho doing it

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John said:

Right they made a deal to say we dont want Rapists tied to stories now so..... I think they would take Luke back and look hypocritical imho doing it

 

They didn't make any 'deal,' John. They said they don't want Todd the serial rapist from a completely different soap opera coming back to star on General Hospital. That is not the same thing as ever hypothetically seeing Luke, the hero of the supercouple who saved GH, again someday, a character whose past with rape was dealt with onscreen almost 25 years ago and which did not largely dominate the character's narrative.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My Point is  I dont buy this BS about them caring about Rape now

Todd was a rapist prior to GH and they new it

Franco was involved in rapes with James Franco in the role

They retconned those in 2013 but it took them 8 years to kill Franco & say it was because he was a rapist once

 

But they would bend over backwards to get Luke Spencer back The most famous rapist in Daytime 

 

But they care about the image of former rapist characters on their show. Bull Sh--

Edited by John
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, John said:

But they would bend over backwards to get Luke Spencer back The most famous rapist in Daytime 

 

But they care about the image of former rapist characters on their show. Bull Sh--

 

They cared because executives have changed and times have changed since Todd was around (and since Luke was around). #MeToo is a thing now. And would they bend over backwards to get aging Geary back on contract? I'm not so sure.


If you want Todd back just say it. That's your prerogative. But it shouldn't happen and It's not going to.

Edited by Vee
Link to post
Share on other sites

If ABC/GH insists that Roger needs to stay, him being a new character is stupid. As Todd he is toed to Canvas and had a romance on the show, that they could revisit. Do I want Todd back, No. I feel Roger needs a rest but if we must, Id perfer Todd over character 3, which is rumored to be a Drew recast

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They're not putting a serial rapist back on the frontburner. And I honestly doubt if ABC cares if Howarth stays these days. Frank yes, the network no.

Edited by Vee
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After all the years of misogynist writing during Guza and JFP, the show moving away from men behaving badly towards women and being the leads is long overdue.  Plus Ron has written some questionable stories about violating women.

 

And Luke has had at least two storylines where his past as a rapist was addressed, and the late 90’s storyline is what really broke Luke and Laura as a couple for me.  After that year, there really wasn’t any going back.  I don’t remember anything like that or with that depth happening to Todd after he was “redeemed”.

Edited by titan1978
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Vee said:

They're not putting a serial rapist back on the frontburner. And I honestly doubt if ABC cares if Howarth stays these days. Frank yes, the network no.

 

This.

 

I don't believe ABC is clinging to Roger Howarth at all. It's Frank.

 

And I appreciate it if they blocked the attempt to bring him back as Todd. That would be stupid. It would bring up all sorts of questions about Llanview. I know Frank loved OLTL but he needs to let go. (And of course Sonny and Nina are in Pennsylvania)

 

I'm still waiting for him to be Drew. But I guess he'll be a new character at this point. Just LET HIM GO Frank.

8 hours ago, John said:

My Point is  I dont buy this BS about them caring about Rape now

Todd was a rapist prior to GH and they new it

Franco was involved in rapes with James Franco in the role

They retconned those in 2013 but it took them 8 years to kill Franco & say it was because he was a rapist once

 

But they would bend over backwards to get Luke Spencer back The most famous rapist in Daytime 

 

But they care about the image of former rapist characters on their show. Bull Sh--

 

Times have changed, John. I see where you're coming from, but they HAVE to care now. You don't bring back a notorious rapist and have them as a romantic lead in 2021. I can't imagine even Howarth would want that, even if he would want to play Todd. He struggled with it back in 2002/2003, a big reason he left (the Todd doll, remember?). 

 

And Geary's aging ass is happy as a clam. Luke will never be a lead again, IMO. He may pop in for a visit but that's it. 

Edited by KMan101
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, John said:

If ABC/GH insists that Roger needs to stay, him being a new character is stupid. As Todd he is toed to Canvas and had a romance on the show, that they could revisit. Do I want Todd back, No. I feel Roger needs a rest but if we must, Id perfer Todd over character 3, which is rumored to be a Drew recast

 

I agree that Howarth doesn't need to play yet another character on GH, but at this point I've lost count of how many characters Michael Easton has played, so I don't rule out the possibility that he's just going to be someone new/a Drew recast.

Edited by AlexElizabeth
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

All this crying about Roger Howarth doesn’t need to be on the show.  Were you all saying the same thing about Michael Easton?  I don’t think so.

 

And this whole article is unbelievable because you still have Sonny and Jason as the heroes of the show.

Edited by BreakingDownTheWalls
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BreakingDownTheWalls said:

All this crying about Roger Howarth doesn’t need to be on the show.  Were you all saying the same thing about Michael Easton? 

 

Yes. Are you new? We've been roasting Easton for over a decade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is confusing. I didn’t think ABC was involved enough to know this or care. In a way I am happy because although I love Todd, I don’t really have interest in him without his proper Llanview family. 
 

My biggest issue with them going a different direction is that they’ve been known to put people in stupid roles instead of what makes sense. Hell, making him Franco was incredibly stupid. Someone like Tom Hardy would make sense and they could potentially bring back Simone and TJ, but you know that would never happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 3,018

      DAYS behind the scenes, articles/photos

    2. 10,253

      Y&R: Old Articles

    3. 14

      GH May 2021 Discussion

    4. 11,453

      As The World Turns Discussion Thread

    5. 10,253

      Y&R: Old Articles

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy