Most overly dramatic characters and scenes

6 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

While many would say this is in line with how Erica Kane would react - apparently the blue ribbon panel had a good laugh at this scene when Lucci submitted it as her Emmy reel that year. The soap press generally wasn’t that kind to Lucci around this time as well.

I completely disagree. From the time Erica discovered Mona's body through the funeral, it was a heartbreaking storyline. Erica took Mona for granted, screamed at her, brushed her off, and relied on her since their first episode together. Moreover, Lucci and Heflen were scene partners for 24 years. All of that was beautifully captured in Erica's grief. Over the top or not, Lucci's portrayal at Erica's loss of her beloved mother truly resonated with me. I'll take this over a demonic possession any day of the week. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, All My Shadows said:

See, I've never read this scene as overdramatic or campy because in my 30-almost-31 years, I've gone to at least 20 funerals, and in my family, this is type of heart-wrenching grieving is extremely common. I actually find it hard to watch because it feels so real.

6 hours ago, ReddFoxx said:

Somehow that scene did work for Erica and it does have a dose of realism to it. There are people who do become consumed enough by grief to react that way.

11 minutes ago, mikelyons said:

I completely disagree. From the time Erica discovered Mona's body through the funeral, it was a heartbreaking storyline. Erica took Mona for granted, screamed at her, brushed her off, and relied on her since their first episode together. Moreover, Lucci and Heflen were scene partners for 24 years. All of that was beautifully captured in Erica's grief. Over the top or not, Lucci's portrayal at Erica's loss of her beloved mother truly resonated with me. I'll take this over a demonic possession any day of the week. 

Agree. I have witnessed this type of grief IRL. It's hard to watch because it's so raw.

Edited by Jonathan
1 hour ago, ReddFoxx said:

B&B does tend to have dramatic direction. When Brooke saw that was alive the camera zoom ins were extra dramatic.

In her defense, if anyone walked up to my door with that god-awful plastic surgery, I'd scream like that, too.

Those zoom-ins were pretty shocking, but not the way I'm sure they intended. YIKES.

Edited by beebs
10 hours ago, beebs said:

In her defense, if anyone walked up to my door with that god-awful plastic surgery, I'd scream like that, too.

Those zoom-ins were pretty shocking, but not the way I'm sure they intended. YIKES.

I thought the same thing, but didn't want to say it, lol.

I feel like those Grayson Hall clips from Dark Shadows are like a 2-minute ad for Valium (which was flying off the shelves at that time).

I was just talking about Ronn Moss on another thread and... well... he deserves a spot here, I think!

13 hours ago, beebs said:

Not that the performance was particularly OTT, but the direction, and the FEKKING SPOTLIGHT???

Oh, man.  That spotlight, lol.  I halfway expect to hear an announcer intone, "Ladies and gentlemen...Cher."

15 hours ago, jam6242 said:

I love her but it has to be Grayson Hall on Dark Shadows.

Dear God! LOL 

Her face looks so... sharp. 

11 hours ago, beebs said:

Girl same. They should've waited until her face settled to bring her back. 

Honestly? 

Slam me if you must but most Susan Flannery performances after like 1997.

Talented as heck but man did I hate the ultraviolent ridiculous cartoon villain they turned Stephanie into. All subtletly was out the window in favor of screaming, yelling, punching, etc. 

The worst was Phyllis on Y&R when she lost that Phick kid. I don't know what MS was doing (and she goes OTT more often than not) but that miscarriage of "blueberry" was so horrible and such ridiculous scenery chewing. 

2 hours ago, Vizion said:

The worst was Phyllis on Y&R when she lost that Phick kid. I don't know what MS was doing (and she goes OTT more often than not) but that miscarriage of "blueberry" was so horrible and such ridiculous scenery chewing. 

Damn, you beat me to it! I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of that scene LOL. MS as Phyllis during MAB's run was pretty much insufferable ("MY HUSBAND, MY HUSBAND!" or basically her stammering the same lines on repeat). MSPhyllis now isn't nearly as irritating as she was back in 2012, but I credit that to the writing, or lack thereof. My only criticism of her Phyllis now is that she is constantly portraying her as if she had just done 10 shots of tequila straight right before getting on set . 

God I miss Gina Tognoni. She knew when to ham it up and when to be subtle.

On Y&R: Pretty much anything Brenda Dickson did on the tail end of her run. It's fun to watch but the acting style definitely didn't age well.

On B&B: Shoutout to KKL when she had to deliver the "I FRIGGIN FORBID IT!" with such conviction in 2008.

On GH: Grayson McCouch's version of Agent Kyle Sloane. MW as Ava can also ham it up sometimes but I personally find it endearing to the character.

32 minutes ago, ChickenNuggetz92 said:

Damn, you beat me to it! I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of that scene LOL. MS as Phyllis during MAB's run was pretty much insufferable ("MY HUSBAND, MY HUSBAND!" or basically her stammering the same lines on repeat). MSPhyllis now isn't nearly as irritating as she was back in 2012, but I credit that to the writing, or lack thereof. My only criticism of her Phyllis now is that she is constantly portraying her as if she had just done 10 shots of tequila straight right before getting on set . 

God I miss Gina Tognoni. She knew when to ham it up and when to be subtle.

On Y&R: Pretty much anything Brenda Dickson did on the tail end of her run. It's fun to watch but the acting style definitely didn't age well.

On B&B: Shoutout to KKL when she had to deliver the "I FRIGGIN FORBID IT!" with such conviction in 2008.

On GH: Grayson McCouch's version of Agent Kyle Sloane. MW as Ava can also ham it up sometimes but I personally find it endearing to the character.

OMG, I forgot qbout Grayson's run on GH. Every scene of his was hilarious because he would overdramatize even the most mundane dialogue. 

38 minutes ago, ChickenNuggetz92 said:

My only criticism of her Phyllis now is that she is constantly portraying her as if she had just done 10 shots of tequila straight right before getting on set . 

What’s UP with that? It’s a very curious acting choice. I get that Phyllis is essentially now comic relief, but are we to believe that Phyllis spends her days polishing off bottles behind the bar at the Grand Phoenix?

On GH: that scene with Cyrus and Martin in the hospital room with their mother when Laura found out she was their sister. You had Jeff Kober (especially) and MEK emoting and bellowing to the rafters with Genie looking stunned and befuddled.

On 2/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, jam6242 said:

I love her but it has to be Grayson Hall on Dark Shadows.

Jesus Christ. Was she related to Dr Zachary Smith? (And I hope to GAWD a crossover was considered. Could you imagine him reacting to Barnabas?)

On 2/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, Soapsuds said:

The revelation of her parentage played off better when it originally aired. Now as I see again...it isn't that great. I thought Paul Lammers should've directed those episodes.

On 2/14/2021 at 6:39 PM, titan1978 said:

The scenes with Lily and Iva where she learns her parentage are so over the top from Lily, and yet Iva is there barely emoting, which creates this strange scene to watch.

My thing about that is you have to watch the story as early as you can. On YT, a while back, I began with Oct 1985 and now I'm in mid 86. I watched the scene in question YEARS ago and, yeah, I felt it was OTT. And after I watched Chris' funeral I decided to skip to that moment with Iva/Lilly and it played better for me. I mean, Lilly didn't JUST learn she was adopted but also a product of incest and a product of rape and that she was in love with her Uncle.