ALL: You couldn’t imagine THEM playing THAT story

28 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

RC Mike and Carrie interacted briefly for Alice’s funeral in 2010 but as I recall because Mike had been revealed to be an abusive/neglectful father during the 2007 Jeremy story the show left his 2010 return be open ended and have him be undeserving to be there ie he didn’t get to see Alice before she passed.

Glad I forgot all of this as it sounds like sheer bullshit character assassination where Mike is concerned (even if I much preferred MTW's version over RC's; Wesley Eure started on the show when I was around 2, so much too young for me to appreciate...).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t see Ashley Bashioum and DT playing out finding out they were cousins. 

I can’t see HT’s Victoria with Billy or JT. 

I can’t see MS’s Phyllis hooking up with Billy. 

I can’t see Davetta Sherwood’s Lily with Cane. 

I can’t imagine Laura Wright’s Cassie having an affair with Josh behind Reva’s back (while Reva had cancer!) and marrying him on GL

I can’t imagine Deborah Adair playing a lot of the stuff Lauren Koslow has played, especially the flings with boytoys, as Kate on DAYS.

Edited by Faulkner

I can't see Kassie DePaiva playing Eve during much of Charlotte Ross tenure. Well except for maybe hooking up with Nick and not getting along with Kimberly. 

On OLTL, I can't picture Jerry verDorn doing the real cowboy-heavy stuff that Clint Ritchie had to do some of back in the day. For sure, I could never see him in the Old West 1888 story. But the Clint B. of that time, and for years, was heavily molded around CR.

I think that's one reason why I never cottoned to JvD as Clint.  Well, that, and the fact that he will always be Ross Marler to me.  ;)

Brenda Dickson would not have been able to pull off some of the material that Jess Walton has played. Can you imagine Dickson playing Jill going up against Mamie about John?

On 1/18/2021 at 3:35 PM, soapfan770 said:

The funny thing about RC’s Mike is how they initially teased him with getting paired up with Marlena in late 1994 to the point maybe a dinner date was involved? I can’t remember except Mike being indirectly involved with DiMera at the same time. 

RC Mike and Carrie interacted briefly for Alice’s funeral in 2010 but as I recall because Mike had been revealed to be an abusive/neglectful father during the 2007 Jeremy story the show left his 2010 return be open ended and have him be undeserving to be there ie he didn’t get to see Alice before she passed.

That wasn't really how the post-2000 stuff with Mike played out. I don't believe they ever said he was abusive in any way to Jeremy, just that Jeremy was an a-hole and they implied that he and Mike weren't super-close or that he felt like he hadn't gotten enough attention or something (which felt at odds with the fact that he seemed to have left the show to go back to Israel to help raise Jeremy). But it was all pretty vague, and when I watched it, it never really felt like an indictment of Mike as a father. 

In 2010, RC wanted to return for Alice's funeral but had some other commitment, so they shot his stuff separately. Because he wasn't filming at the same time as the other returns, he couldn't attend the actual funeral, so they had Mike get into a car accident on his way into Salem. He mostly appeared at the hospital and had scenes with Lexie, Jennifer, Bill, and Carrie. He and Carrie seemed to get some sort of closure on their relationship, but it was bittersweet. It wasn't anything amazing, but it was done pretty respectfully and certainly wasn't some kind of punishment toward Mike/RC. He got a final solo scene to say goodbye to Alice, too (I think as he was leaving the hospital, but he might've made it to her grave).

On 1/23/2021 at 5:16 PM, Khan said:

I think that's one reason why I never cottoned to JvD as Clint.  Well, that, and the fact that he will always be Ross Marler to me.  ;)

I was always ambivalent about his casting. I was familiar with both actors and liked both. CR had been my favorite on the show during his prime in the 1980s and I enjoyed the original trio of Buchanan men. Part of me was happy that JvD was given a prominent role on another soap with which I was familiar after languishing at the end of his GL tenure. I reasoned that, with CR's retirement having taken him off the show years earlier, it freed them to get a different spin and additional stories out of the character, not unlike what GH did with John Ingle's Edward Quartermaine after David Lewis left. That being said, it was kind of bittersweet to me to have a new Clint....new actor and new spin. Had I not already liked JvD, I may not have cottoned to nu-Clint at all.

Edited by applcin