Jump to content

ALL: You couldn’t imagine THEM playing THAT story


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Vee said:

This is a weird one for me. On the one hand, I have a hard time imagining Andrea Evans playing Tina on OLTL during many of her '90s stories during the more grounded Linda Gottlieb era, and I think Karen Witter fused much of Evans' energy with something more suited to the 90s. OTOH, time has shown us Andrea had great chemistry with Christopher Cousins' Cain when she returned in the 2000s. Further, Andrea's real persona offscreen is different; you see her in her rare interviews and her voice is deeper and she's a much less flighty individual than Tina. She can be serious and she can do grounded drama, as we know from Y&R. So do I think Andrea could've played the stories with, say, Cain or the social issue stuff with Luna as her BFF, yes. But do I think the Tina they often wrote for in her heyday would be suited for it? That I don't know. I think she would've struggled with the David Vickers mess.

I loved Andrea,  but I also really liked Karen Witter as well.  I thought that ended up being a pretty good recast back then.

 

Do you think Witter could have played the larger than life era of Tina?  Andrea had the ability back then to go big, but still make it believable for Tina.  Andrea always brought a lot of charm to Tina.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OLTL- I cannot imagine Elaine Princi as Dorian during the Death row/secret room story nor could I see her in any of the David Vickers stories. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 1:33 PM, carolineg said:

WN's Roman with Isabella (I know John wasn't Roman but I could never imagine any incarnation of Roman going for someone like her)

 

Technically, though, Drake Hogestyn was Roman with Isabella for about a year or so - until Wayne Northrop returned and the mess began.

 

As for this topic, I cannot imagine Michael T. Weiss' Mike Horton ever getting romantic with Carrie Brady (especially since she was literally a kid when his Mike was on screen!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

 

I couldn't have seen BD's Jill nor Katherine team up against Nina during the initial Nina is pregnant story and post Philip's death story.

 

I also couldn't have seen  ED's Ashley married to Victor in the early 90s at least what played out on screen.  Brenda's Ashley stood up to Victor, gradually became close to Victoria, and promptly left Victor once he admitted still feeling something for Nikki.  ED's Ashley would have been too needy and indecisive when it came to Victor.

 

On the other hand, I couldn't see ED nor Shari S.'s Ashley being duped by Blade and his twin.  Though Brenda gave a knockout performance as she broke down once she realized the deception (even using violation and rape in her rant.)

Oddly enough, as much as I say ED was stronger in the role, when it came to Victor I agree she had too much of a soft and blind spot. However in 1987 after the abortion and breakdown and marrying Steven, I felt ED's Ashley had moved on from Victor. He was still pining away for her and she was "I don't have time for this shiz, I am moving on" Bell grew her out of the fairytale phase of that love and ED did as well, which is why the Steven relationship worked for me. 

 

I felt like any end game potential Vic and Ash had was over and the marriage was simply because they were two lost souls trying to recapture something that was well and truly over, which is why it fell apart. By 1992 when the divorce happened Brenda was owning that role, even though I prefer ED overall, I love BE as Ashley as well. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

David Tom's Billy with Heather Tom's Victoria...

Though Bell wasn't writing the show then, he did like his incest stories, haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost want to say Kate Collins playing RM's stuff (and Vice-versa).

 

After watching the early stuff of her 1st run, I think ate could be an entertaining 'sane' Janet. Early she was just awkward.

 

And I think RM could do Janet's returns but far more nuanced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 5:39 PM, Wendy said:

 

Technically, though, Drake Hogestyn was Roman with Isabella for about a year or so - until Wayne Northrop returned and the mess began.

 

As for this topic, I cannot imagine Michael T. Weiss' Mike Horton ever getting romantic with Carrie Brady (especially since she was literally a kid when his Mike was on screen!)

 

Yeah that was what I was trying to say about Roman/RoJohn although the character of Roman changed a lot under DH.  I just couldn't imagine gruff WN and Isabella at all.  Diana, I could maybe see him with, but not Isabella.  Then we could go into the two complete opposite Diana's we saw with GF and JC.  Two totally different characters in every single way.

 

I don't think Carrie would have worked with any Mike except RC for obvious reasons.  Did they even acknowledge there was an age difference even with RC?  I don't think so.  I think MTW and RC are pretty close in age though.

 

That goes into another creepy pairing with someone who grew up on screen.  AT's Emily with Sonny on GH.  NL's Emily was skeevy enough, but AT would have been a whole other level.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh gross.  I’ve never even thought of AT’s Emily with Sonny.  Vomit.

 

Say what you want about Reilly, but he absolutely invested in the Horton family as HW during his first round.  We had Hope, Laura and Mike return, Jennifer was often in lead stories, and Lucas was revealed as a Horton.  Plus we had visits from Bill, Doug and Julie.  I also remember thinking Tom Horton’s memorial was one of the nicer ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I watch Guiding Light from 1992. I could not envision Sherry Stringfield leaving the corporate world to be a romance novelist like Liz Keifer's version of Blake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carolineg said:

I don't think Carrie would have worked with any Mike except RC for obvious reasons.  Did they even acknowledge there was an age difference even with RC?  I don't think so.  I think MTW and RC are pretty close in age though

 

Yeah, I think RC is only a year or two younger than MTW, which floored me. (Critchlow struck me as a lot younger for whatever reason.) Of course, the fact that Mike was in his 30s for THREE DECADES sort of messed everything up, anyway.

 

I had completely forgotten about Sonny/Emily. I felt the need to vomit once I was reminded. And AT's version with Sonny would just be NASTY.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wendy said:

 

Yeah, I think RC is only a year or two younger than MTW, which floored me. (Critchlow struck me as a lot younger for whatever reason.) Of course, the fact that Mike was in his 30s for THREE DECADES sort of messed everything up, anyway.

 

I had completely forgotten about Sonny/Emily. I felt the need to vomit once I was reminded. And AT's version with Sonny would just be NASTY.

 

RC definitely looked okay with the younger crowd.  Even if at the very least he should have been in the Bo/Hope/Billie crowd.  But I think they really had no idea what to do with Mike and he had enough chemistry with CC to make it work.   It is gross to think he was married before Carrie was even born most likely.  How did Carrie and Mike end?  I know she left him, but did her and RC ever have scenes again?

Ugh it's gets worse when you think about the fact Sonny gave a sex talk to AT's Emily and Juan.  And he knew her when she was legitimately a child.  A not in a vague way.  Emily was always in Sonny's circle via Jason and Brenda. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 9:35 PM, Paul Raven said:

David Tom's Billy with Heather Tom's Victoria...


I can’t imagine HT Victoria playing out any of AH’s stories for the most part at all. Maybe the initial Brad and JT affair storyline but HT getting hit by a biscuit? Just no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, carolineg said:

It is gross to think he was married before Carrie was even born most likely.  How did Carrie and Mike end?  I know she left him, but did her and RC ever have scenes again?

 

It's been so long that even I did not remember specifics. I found this page that details the whole Carrie and Mike saga.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, carolineg said:

 

RC definitely looked okay with the younger crowd.  Even if at the very least he should have been in the Bo/Hope/Billie crowd.  But I think they really had no idea what to do with Mike and he had enough chemistry with CC to make it work.   It is gross to think he was married before Carrie was even born most likely.  How did Carrie and Mike end?  I know she left him, but did her and RC ever have scenes again?

3 minutes ago, Wendy said:

 

It's been so long that even I did not remember specifics. I found this page that details the whole Carrie and Mike saga.

 


The funny thing about RC’s Mike is how they initially teased him with getting paired up with Marlena in late 1994 to the point maybe a dinner date was involved? I can’t remember except Mike being indirectly involved with DiMera at the same time. 
 

RC Mike and Carrie interacted briefly for Alice’s funeral in 2010 but as I recall because Mike had been revealed to be an abusive/neglectful father during the 2007 Jeremy story the show left his 2010 return be open ended and have him be undeserving to be there ie he didn’t get to see Alice before she passed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:


The funny thing about RC’s Mike is how they initially teased him with getting paired up with Marlena in late 1994 to the point maybe a dinner date was involved? I can’t remember except Mike being indirectly involved with DiMera at the same time. 
 

RC Mike and Carrie interacted briefly for Alice’s funeral in 2010 but as I recall because Mike had been revealed to be an abusive/neglectful father during the 2007 Jeremy story the show left his 2010 return be open ended and have him be undeserving to be there ie he didn’t get to see Alice before she passed.

 

There was a tease of Mike/Marlena, but he was only getting close to her because DiMera was blackmailing him and Mike found out the penthouse security code for him I think.  It actually might have been fun if Mardevil seduced him.

Does anyone feel like they could imagine PM's Austin falling for all things Sami or eventually pairing up with her?  That seems very specific to AP's Austin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.