Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Awkward Returns

• Members

What characters/ actors that returned years later (sometimes decades) that came across awkward or cringe worthy ?

I just saw some uploads of when Karen Lynn Gorney returned in the role of Tara on AMC in the 90's. She seemed a few beats behind her replies and had trouble remembering lines. They also had her made up to look matronly.

David Hasselhoff and Wings Hausers return to Y&R was also cringe worthy. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thom Bierdz was super rusty when he was resurrected as Phillip on Y&R. He got better but was dumped never to return.

When George Reinholt appeared on AW for the 25th in a couple of dream/fantasy sequences he seemed a bit awkward. Am sure some viewers who didn't experience Steve Frame the first go round were wondering what the  fuss had been about.

• Members

While there was nothing wrong with her performances, a number of Kate Collins' returns as Ghost Natalie in the late '90s left viewers confused. She never interacted with Trevor, who was supposed to be the love of her life - she interacted with everyone in the family BUT him, including Harold the dog. There are alleged reasons for that, but I can't imagine how disappointed some must have been at the time.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

John Howard as model Paul. I wish I could've found his first eppy. I believe his debut entrance was a cliffhanger ending. John was hot but he wasn't Paul.

For some reason I thought he debuted on a runway. Maybe I am just remembering Lilith as she was much more interesting.

• Members
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

For some reason I thought he debuted on a runway. Maybe I am just remembering Lilith as she was much more interesting.

Yes it was a runway entrance. It's was a fashion show and Barbara with excitement says...It's Paul!!...

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

During the Joe Martin anniversary ep on AMC several characters were gathered at the hospital when the elevator door opened and Phoebe (Ruth Warrick) was wheeled out. Erica went up to Phoebe to welcome here and Ruth smiled, obviously unable to speak or not well enough to deliver dialogue.

Wonderful to see her again but probably a shock to long term viewers who remembered feisty Phoebe in her heyday.

Not so much awkward as sad/poignant.

• Members
2 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

During the Joe Martin anniversary ep on AMC several characters were gathered at the hospital when the elevator door opened and Phoebe (Ruth Warrick) was wheeled out. Erica went up to Phoebe to welcome here and Ruth smiled, obviously unable to speak or not well enough to deliver dialogue.

Wonderful to see her again but probably a shock to long term viewers who remembered feisty Phoebe in her heyday.

Not so much awkward as sad/poignant.

I remember this moment. It was interesting also considering that Mona and Phoebe were enemies.  They eventually buried the hatchet.

• Members
3 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

I remember that too. It was unfortunate and sad to watch.

• Members

I felt the same way about James Mitchell's last appearance on the show.  You could tell he was nearing the end.

Meanwhile, I still want to know how and why DAYS botched Arleen Sorkin's (Calliope) 2010 return.  It was as if the show had drained all the humor and life from my beloved, wacky girl.

• Members

If we're talking about Ruth Warrick and James Mitchell then I need to add David Canary's appearances on AMC 2.0. It was so wonderful to see him again but it was very clear that he wasn't all there and they gave him minimal work to do.