Days: January 2021 Discussion Thread

On 1/16/2021 at 1:02 PM, Chris B said:

I’m catching up with December and January, finally in that first week of January. The show is still fantastic with the exception of this bizarre rape story. We all predicted that Charlie was the real rapist, but what is the point of this? He’s a good actor that fits in well and he’s Ava’s son. It just seems like a waste for a story that never should’ve been told in the first place. I’m just happy it looks like it’ll be over soon. 

One major unpopular opinion I have is that I *love* Kate with Jake. This is her best pairing since Roman and I don’t mind the age gap. I’m sick of older men with younger women on soaps, but I don’t mind the reverse because soaps are so quick to minimize the sexuality of older women. I also think Lauren Koslow reads much younger and is still one of the more sexy women on Days. I’ll be sad when this is ended to throw him back with Gabby. They struck gold here IMO. 

Also this Gwen story was perfectly done. I didn’t feel like they dumbed down the characters or stretched it out too long. The Chad you could argue is coming off dumb, but I put that more on the acting. I do think him sleeping with her makes sense. I’m hoping to get caught up before Monday because I want to see the secret reveal with everyone else. 

Lastly, Cady McClain has made me forget there was another Jennifer. They need to go ahead and recast Hope if they can do as well as they did with Jennifer. Melissa Reeves (and Kristen Alfonso) was checked out for years. It’s so strange how quickly she fit in which isn’t easy for a legacy role like this. I find myself looking forward to her scenes and actually paying attention. I hope this becomes permanent. 

On 1/18/2021 at 8:24 AM, AlexElizabeth said:

I like Kate and Jake as well. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. I have zero interest in seeing Jake with Gabi.

I don't ever need Missy Reeves back. Cady McClain has been a great Jennifer. I forget that she's even a recast - she fits right in.

I agree on both counts. Jake is one of Kate's best pairings, for all the reasons @Chris B noted. Lauren Koslow reads younger and far more sensual than her other colleagues, and the age difference doesn't bother me at all. An older woman gets thrown on the slag heap so I am all for Kate/Lauren getting a sexy romance. 

Cady McClain has been a revelation as Jennifer. For many years I have not seen the point of bringing that character being onscreen but Cady has breathed new life into her. She fights seamlessly in. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DaytimeFan said:

Cady McClain has been a revelation as Jennifer. For many years I have not seen the point of bringing that character being onscreen but Cady has breathed new life into her. She fights seamlessly in. 

I'm LOVING Cady as Jennifer. I haven't been this invested in the character since maybe the 90s. She's brought new life to the role and clicks with everyone.

So let me get this straight: for the last several months Ron has been running to identical plots: the bastard, previously unknown child out for revenge (Charlie and Gwen).  I see.

54 minutes ago, RavenWhitney said:

So let me get this straight: for the last several months Ron has been running to identical plots: the bastard, previously unknown child out for revenge (Charlie and Gwen).  I see.

They are quite similar plots, but then again, this is a soap staple (see, for instance, the introduction of Carly on GH). And Charlie's motivations for coming to Salem were a little different, as he wanted to win his mother's approval by being her mole in Titan. But I'd still love to eventually see a scene where Gwen and Charlie meet, then commiserate over feeling unwanted compared to their "golden child" sibling. 

Also, I wish they'd gotten Jake involved in the Charlie reveal. Rather than that awkward scene where John and Steve fly to "Philadelphia" to rough up Ava's cousin Angelo, Jake (who was also involved in the Philly mob) could have simply run across Charlie in the town square and recognized him as Ava's son. 

14 hours ago, Vee said:

Ron is a traditionalist in a lot of ways. IMO, sooner or later he'll reveal "Bonnie" is Adrienne the same way he did Gigi and Stacy near the end of OLTL.

I've said constantly that this'll happen when Adrienne first "died" that it was actually a brainwashed "Bonnie" (though, honestly, I wouldn't mind them keeping Adrienne dead).

2 hours ago, prefab1 said:

They are quite similar plots, but then again, this is a soap staple (see, for instance, the introduction of Carly on GH). And Charlie's motivations for coming to Salem were a little different, as he wanted to win his mother's approval by being her mole in Titan. But I'd still love to eventually see a scene where Gwen and Charlie meet, then commiserate over feeling unwanted compared to their "golden child" sibling.

I wonder if this is how they'll keep Charlie in Salem by getting him involved with Gwen?

7 hours ago, te. said:

I've said constantly that this'll happen when Adrienne first "died" that it was actually a brainwashed "Bonnie" (though, honestly, I wouldn't mind them keeping Adrienne dead).

Yep

I've always had this in the back of my head. He's so going to do that. Especially with Bonnie more Adrienne than Bonnie, IMHO.

14 hours ago, pdm1974 said:

I'm LOVING Cady as Jennifer. I haven't been this invested in the character since maybe the 90s. She's brought new life to the role and clicks with everyone.

She's great. I'm so happy with her in the role. 

20 hours ago, Forever8 said:

Who do you think is Gwen's mother? 

And I pray that it isn't 

I will be LIVID if they go that route. There is NO plausible way. 

6 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

It's really working for me, especially because it doesn't retcon anything.

Edited by AbcNbc247
14 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

It really working for me, especially because it doesn't retcon anything.

I know i'm nitpicking. But if Gwen was born and raised in America. Why does she have a strong British accent? Really enjoyed the reveal. So glad Jack's established history wasn't retconned.

Edited by victoria foxton