ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

1 hour ago, Soapsuds said:

And canceled after a year.  The reboot should've been done on daytime. When has nighttime soap been a hit? Their timeslot is still there with a boring GMA3 doing barely acceptable ratings.

There are no daytime slots for it

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How is this post not 5 pages already?

In the All My Children followup, written/executive produced by Leo Richardson (Katy Keene, Star), a young journalist with a secret agenda comes to expose the dark and murderous history of a town named Pine Valley only to become entangled in a feud between the Kane and Santos families. The seres explores all the secrets that come with the Kane and Santos family names.

Weird but not weird that the Santos family is one of the families they're focusing on. No one cares about the Santos family outside of Maria (you can't convince anyone gives two shits about Mateo outside of Kelly and Mark's fame).

8 minutes ago, Darn said:

How is this post not 5 pages already?

In the All My Children followup, written/executive produced by Leo Richardson (Katy Keene, Star), a young journalist with a secret agenda comes to expose the dark and murderous history of a town named Pine Valley only to become entangled in a feud between the Kane and Santos families. The seres explores all the secrets that come with the Kane and Santos family names.

Weird but not weird that the Santos family is one of the families they're focusing on. No one cares about the Santos family outside of Maria (you can't convince anyone gives two shits about Mateo outside of Kelly and Mark's fame).

There is another post about it in the primetime thread. Yeah the Santos weren't that popular.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

The Deadline article had more details and confirmed it’s a sequel that will include new next generation characters as well as legacy characters. Because they mention the Santos and Kane families, obviously Susan Lucci and Eva Larue (who is besties with Ripa) will appear and Deadline also said Mark and Kelly will likely make guest appearances. 

I think this is a great idea and a smart way to use those series. A primetime reboot is obviously cheaper than a daytime one and has a better chance at success. I hope this works out for them. I find it promising you have Agnes Nixon’s son involved as well as former cast members who love the show and genre. I also like that the new writers know the show and I like their British soap experience since those soaps tend to be more progressive with storytelling compared to modern daytime soaps. I hope this is a success for ABC and causes networks to look at their soap properties differently. It’s crazy that every network has a streaming service where the soaps perform well, but they have no spin offs for the soaps. 

Im curious to see how casting ends up being for this. For example, for Kendall I could see them approaching Sarah Michelle Gellar since she’s a bigger name than Alicia Menshew. I’m also curious if they would try to recast any of the adult roles we know. Bianca and JR as examples. I could see that going either way. 

Maybe they’ll call Lacey Chabert

When I tell you how much I just screamed @ this for 10+ minutes. Yes please! The Kane family? YESSS! Bring back Erica, Kendall, Bianca and all their offspring. We need Spike, Ian, Miranda, etc all in the mix. Hell even resurrect Josh. I'm sooo ready!😀

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I tweeted the HW/EP and this is promising. So at least now we know the Hubbard’s will also be involved. Not too surprising considering Debbi Morgan is still so successful. The success of AMC alums I feel is going to make this an easier sell than had they tried this with some other soaps. 

AMAZING! 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Im curious to see how casting ends up being for this. For example, for Kendall I could see them approaching Sarah Michelle Gellar since she’s a bigger name than Alicia Menshew. I’m also curious if they would try to recast any of the adult roles we know. Bianca and JR as examples. I could see that going either way. 

Go to jail

22 minutes ago, AllMyDaysatGH said:

When I tell you how much I just screamed @ this for 10+ minutes. Yes please! The Kane family? YESSS! Bring back Erica, Kendall, Bianca and all their offspring. We need Spike, Ian, Miranda, etc all in the mix. Hell even resurrect Josh. I'm sooo ready!😀

AMAZING! 

Go to jail

SMG might be a bigger pull 

I think it could work. Will it be different? It has to be. It's primetime. It'll be a smaller cast obviously. But, it could be a great way to sort of reinvent Agnes Nixon's creation. I'm hopeful because of the people involved. La Lucci HAS TO  be in it.

How interesting!  Maybe this will lead to other shows being reinvented this way (Edge of Night I am looking at you).

I would be shocked if they didn’t try to get SMG.  This needs people with ties from before and also some big names if they want it to actually work.  And she is a much bigger star than AM.

I mean, I'm pleased for them but I worry they're trying to turn the show into Riverdale/Sabrina/etc. That's not an answer to me. Still, it's a form of good news and we'll see where it goes.

I think there are other shows much more appropriate to the Riverdale-esque makeover this sounds like than AMC - it always had light and a heart and a vibe of hearth and community. I hope they don't try to turn into a campy riff on soaps or better things like that show.

I'm very happy for AMC, but based on the press release I am reserving judgment in a major way. It's one thing to reintroduce an old property, it's another to do it with one that hasn't been off the air for ten years and ran for over 30. I can see them trying to bring SMG back as Kendall, for example, while pretending Alicia Minshew didn't play her for many, many years, just because 'it's primetime.' Could I be for seeing Sarah in the role again, of course, but it's the potential for erasure of a huge raft of history that concerns me. Soaps are not primetime shows with a handful of seasons; their history is everything. You can't gloss them over in quite the same way, it has to be handled much more carefully. So hopefully they can do that.

Edited by Vee